IGNORED

Replacing shift pins and clutch plates

I replaced the stop plate and the shift pins and the clutch plates on my 1983 Yamaha Venture 1200 XVZ. the problem I am having is I can't squeeze the clutch in. Now I don't have it all back together yet cause I am waiting on a used clutch basket from eBay motorcycle parts that should be here tomorrow. I did stick the old clutch assembly in there temporarily and still could not squeeze the clutch in. Is there something I need to do to make it work?

I had exactly the same problem after I did my clutch and the shift segment upgrade.

It turned out that the clutch push rod was extending on its own ...(just from residual pressure???)

I tried to crack the bleeder and push the rod back in...but by the time I got the clutch back in and tightened up the rod was extended again and the clutch was frozen.

It seems simple but it took awhile to figure out he answer.

We put the clutch together AGAIN but this time we loosened the bleeder while we tightened the spring.

That allowed the residual pressure to be released.

Then once the clutch was in, we just had to bleed it and everything was good!

Rocket came up and helped me for a day and we figured it out!

Edited by Trader

I just went out and did a little test by cracking the bleeder and pushing in the rod. got some clutch back, looks like it will work. I am waiting on a used clutch basket from eBay should be here today and am soaking the new clutch plates in oil right now. By the way I am using Castrol 20/50 oil, is that okay or what would you suggest?

I just went out and did a little test by cracking the bleeder and pushing in the rod. got some clutch back, looks like it will work. I am waiting on a used clutch basket from eBay should be here today and am soaking the new clutch plates in oil right now. By the way I am using Castrol 20/50 oil, is that okay or what would you suggest?

I've used Castrol 20/50 in my bikes for many years. Just make sure it's the special blend for motorcycles.