IGNORED

84 venture royale

sanc125

I have a 84 venture royale. When the engine is warm it turns over very slow while starting. This happens even when the battery is fully charged? My bought this bike 5 years ago from my brother who owned it for 10 years before me. he said it had always done this for him also. Anyone hear of this problem before?

Welcome to VentureRider. Yes this is common problem. One of the first things to consider is the battery cables. They were too small. Look under the classifieds, first gen parts, there are larger replacement cables there. you might want to consider this. There are many threads here on starting issues, try a search. lol :080402gudl_prv:

Yep - slow cranking 1983-1993 Ventures are common. Many things to check and a few modifications to do. Let's see if I can list mine:

1. Check and clean all electrical connections and coat with di-electric grease

This includes the starter, solenoid, battery, ignition, and starter button circuits

2. A good battery of known quality. Many here swear by the Odyssey series.

I used a high ampere hour sealed battery with great luck. (Note: may need to

modify the battery sensor for the dash indicator if there isn't a sensor hole in battery)

3. Upgrade all battery cables to 4 gauge. You can buy them in the classified section

on this site.

4. Check all fuses and holders. The glass fuse clips lose tension and break. Consider

replacing with an ATC fuse holder. I did and feel it was my best modification.

5. Pull starter and dis-assemble to clean out the years of brush dust. Maybe fresh

brushes and an armature cleaning and a bit of lube.

6. I even changed out my main fuse to a maxi-fuse holder.

7. Moved my accessory hot and ground from clip together connectors to ring lugs

right on the battery.

8. Check the output of the stator at the 3 wire plug. This is an AC circuit before

the regulator. Clean the plug and use di-electric grease.

9. Change your oil (and filter) to a good multi-viscosity just in case you have some

straight 50 weight on a cold morning. I use 15w-50 Mobile 1 but there are many

opinions on what is best.

10. MEET OTHER VENTURE RIDERS AND ASK FOR HELP. WE ARE TINKERERS!! WE

ENJOY BEING BRIBED WITH FOOD IN EXCHANGE FOR REPAIRS.

After doing all of the above I have no cranking problems from a tested 29deg. F. up

to hot starts at almost 100deg. F. Reliable as all hell and charges great. Plenty of

power for a set of driving lights and no voltage drops. I haven't listed all the voltage

measurements and/or drops here as I am sure you can find them by searching. Also

searching and reading the many threads on the subject will give you insight as to

your plan of attack. I have even posted pictures of the fusebox change.

JB

I have a 84 venture royale. When the engine is warm it turns over very slow while starting. This happens even when the battery is fully charged? My bought this bike 5 years ago from my brother who owned it for 10 years before me. he said it had always done this for him also. Anyone hear of this problem before?

i have an 84 and the starter dose the same thing and have 3 friends that have vr and they all say the same thing

p.s i need a raido any body got one that works

• 7 months later...

Hey guys I changed my battery to the Odyssey PC680, awesume, and the main battery cables to the starter and ground to #4 gauge. Big difference in how the bike starts when hot. Also I was wondering if anyone has ever changed the antenna to a shorter one which you do not have to fold down to cover the bike. My original one has the top 6 inches broke off?

Lot of Folks have changed Antennas to "Fire Sticks" I'm sure someone will post info for them.

The starter has been covered pretty good. Changing cables and cleaning are most important and if you find yourself sitting and looking at it this winter pull that starter and clean it good. These starters have no vents in them and the dust builds up in them with nowhere to go. Take it apart and clean carefully. Clean groves in armature and clean everything good. Do all this and you won't be able to turn loose of starter button before it starts!!

• 3 months later...
Yep - slow cranking 1983-1993 Ventures are common. Many things to check and a few modifications to do. Let's see if I can list mine:

2. A good battery of known quality. Many here swear by the Odyssey series.

I used a high ampere hour sealed battery with great luck. (Note: may need to

modify the battery sensor for the dash indicator if there isn't a sensor hole in battery).

I just picked up my new 88 VR on Sunday. Love it so far, and plan on spending some time on good maintenance. One thing I also want to do is fix fix the battery sensor. The previous owner put in a new batter that has a sensor hole but it has a smaller diameter than the probe. Can i just drill out the sensor hole or do I need to modify the sensor for the dash indicator some other way? and how?

Evan

If you have a "wet" type battery, I would definately get the sensor in there. You don't want the battery running dry on you! I wouldn't think that the hole would have to be much bigger to fit it. It must be a tight fit. Start small and work your way up, make sure you don't penetrate too far!

Also, make sure that your vent hose is hooked up to the battery! Pics below show what happens when it's not!

Dan

Edited by Dano

Yes, that's the correct color wire. It should have the female half of the connector on the end. Just plug in your lead and you should be good to go!

Dan

Thanks for the input. The connectors are not the same, but I didn't want to hack anything up until I knew for sure.