IGNORED

Thunder Charger Air Filter

SapperMedic

My son has an 01 V-star 1100 and bought an aftermarket air filter intake system called a Thunder Charger (similar to a Kuryaken). He was told by the seller to drill out 3 holes in the exhaust and bolt on the new filter system. It runs like crap now (of course) I am sure he has a lot less resistance both on intake and exhaust now which is causing it to run so poorly. will a trip to the bike shop to adjust the carbs fix this, or should I tell him to bite the bullet and reinstall the old air filter housing?

I assume the bike was reasonably stock before this intake and exhaust modification? The added more air flow so you will need to adjust the fuel flow as well, the bike is now running lean. Short term rideability issues and long term scorched plugs and a hot running engine. I'm not 100% certain on the carb setup on the 1100 if you can get away with shimming the needle or if new jets are required.

I don't think the Thunder MFG "stage 3" is an absolute requirement when the jets are usually sold for a few dollars a piece. If you do a quick Google search for "Rejetting a V-Star 1100" there is a very nice guide on the VStar1100 forum that pops up.