IGNORED

Rear Shock length off bike?

I just got a rear shock off a standard Venture and I need to know what the of the shock should be with no load or air? I'm not real sure the new shock is any good as it doesn't extend any if I try to increase air pressure and I really don't want to switch one dud for another, it might be the shock is extended to full length with no load, I really don't know. Does this look right, the length is at about 11 1/2" and it doesn't change regardless of air pressure?

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u369/vonwolf1/Rear%20Shock%20FleBay.jpg

If the shock is extended and it should be with no load, adding air pressure will not make it extend any more. Try pushing on the shock and see if you can collapse it some.

Randy

That's what I was hoping for I know these bikes are quite a load, I can't make this thing compress at all, with my 250 pounds anyway. I think I might have messed up as I don't think this shock is as strong as a royal would have been without the spring and the shock on my bike looks to be around 11 inches now so I'm not real confident this will make much difference?

The shock is also exposed to mechanical advantage through the linkage when installed.

I've never tried to compress one by hand, but I doubt you would be able to.

Also don't understand you "spring" comment. Both standard and Royale have a spring....

I really don't know if it is a standard or royal, it just seems tp be setup to manually inflate the shock and I think the spring is more of a year thing as it was advertised to be off an 83 Royal. As in the picture its spring must be internal and not as beefy as the later Ventures, I read something about this here, but I apparently didn't pay close enough attention as I can really remember the details. Basically, the 86 up Ventures had a larger exteriorly mounted spring so it could carry a larger load, again not really sure on this one. I just went with this one because it has the Schrader valve next to the dampener adjuster, I thought this would be a nice backup in case the CLASS goes out. I'm not really sure this shock will be as good as one off an 87

The one you have pictured is off a standard venture. The royals would have the class setup and that shock has the manual adjustments.

:)

I thought it would be off a standard Venture the Schrader Valve's what caught my eye, but can this shock handle the small weight increase of a Royal?

I thought it would be off a standard Venture the Schrader Valve's what caught my eye, but can this shock handle the small weight increase of a Royal?

The royal shock also has the air line entering the shock body in a different spot.

If you're lucky, there's maybe 30 lbs difference between standard and Royale.

Essentially, the radio and class stuff. I'd estimate the radio stuff to weigh in around 5-6 lbs (based on holding the radio amp and other components in my hands) and maybe another 3-4 lbs for the CLASS components. Chuck in a little more for extra wiring and a few bits and I'd be surprised if you top 20 lbs, so say 30 lbs to be safe.

Guys add more than that to these bikes in chrome and other farkles.....