IGNORED

Trouble with the saddlebag lock on my '84

Oldseadog

I'm having issues with the lock on the left hand saddlebag. It wouldn't unlock, and after taking the bag off the bike I was able to open the case. I found the lock spring had sprung and the end of the spring was sticking out of the retention plate (disc). Because I had it apart, I took everything out, cleaned and lubed it and put it back. Now It was working great on the bench, but, when I put it back on the bike, I was back at square 1. The key turns from set to lock and back, then only half way to open. I'm pretty sure the spring has slipped out of place again. How should the spring sit in the lock? I was thinking I might have it upside down, or backwards or something. Does the tail that fits into the housing go on the bottom, or the piece that fits into the lock go on the bottom. Which way does the retention plate sit? I took the other saddlebag lock out and they are both look the same to me. Need to get this sorted out BEFORE heading out to Venture West in a couple of weeks.

Not sure if this is the lock set you are talking about but I have found on the bag sets themselves I gotta keep the slide mechs cleaned and lubed or I am always facing a broken key.. I took these pictures last time I had it apart and was gonna post a thread about including this in yearly maintenance.. Good timing in your questions Sea Dog cause this kind of stuff (especially if your on a cross country trip) can really be a pain in the neck..

I have also found that synthetic bicycle chain lube works great for lubricant in these area's..

DSCN1232.JPG

DSCN1233.JPG

DSCN1229.JPG

DSCN1228.JPG

DSCN1226.JPG

DSCN1225.JPG

I have had issues off and on with the latches releasing when the lock button is pushed down. The lid will not release. Don't know if this will help your issue. But I have learned to apply a little pressure to the lid and bag hinge Inward toward the wheel. Just this little amount of pressure releases stress on the locks and the lid opens instantly.

Thanks ol' Puc! The little retaining disc, does the indent face up or down, and which way does the spring sit?

Hey you ol Sea Puppy!!

Not exactly sure I can answer that, what you see in the pics is as far into the mechanism I have been.. I just always popped the cap, lube it and put it back together.. Are you referring to the cover that goes over the spring when you mention disc?

On mine there are numbers stamped into the face of the plate, these go on the outside, facing so if are standing next to the riders foot peg and you are looking toward the rear of the bike, look down and the stamped number is facing you and readable. This would be the left bag in the open position as shown in the pics. Never really noticed an indent, I just put it back the way it came apart.. Does this help?

OK, so I finally got around to working on my saddlebag lock. I took it apart again, this time taking pictures.

In the first picture you can see where the spring is sticking out from under the round retaining disc, on the left side of the pin. The second picture shows how the spring is seated in the lock. The third picture show the orientation of retaining disc, (I had mine upside down) the final picture is with everything closed back up. Before closing everything up I lubed the moving parts with 3in1 white lithium grease. I tried a spray on dry graphite lubricant but it didn't work well. Hopefully someone will find this useful.

IMG_0868.jpg IMG_0870.jpg IMG_0869.jpg IMG_0867.jpg