IGNORED

lightweight touring bike

[h=3]lightweight touring bike[/h] http://venturers.org/Forum/styles/prosilver/imageset/icon_post_target.gifby ronaldlbayless » Wed May 27, 2015 8:33 am

We all know the venture might not be coming back, sad for me.We also know one of its biggest downsides is its weight, about 850 pounds.There are some socalled touring bikes,actually they are sport tourers like many of the bmw's,ie 1100 rt that are lighter.My valkyrie only weighed 646.But sucked gas.Sound systems,tour packs, crash bars, 300 pound motors, cause the bikes to weigh a lot.Plus full coverage fairings etc. I saw an article dont remember which magazine, a guy took a 298 pound motorcycle motor, made a bike that when finished only weighed 550 pounds.Carbon fiber is expensive.I think chrome moly is expensive, do think it is lighter, and aluminum,titanium, for frames maybe. There are 600 cc sportbikes that have 100 hp.You have to shift 6 times going around a corner, but they are light and powerful.Actually 75 hp riding 1 or 2 up is plenty for touring.I have found crunched ventures salvage titles for less than $1000. I have a genius friend.Alan.he was a master frame builder.Designed his own turbocharger, built land speed bikes for bonneville, can sandcast engine parts, etc.Cant paint though.

He makes a mean girder fork.I wonder if a person had a wrecked venture.used lightweight frame material.perhaps made the motor part of the frame as in the vincent or virago to reduce weight.No navigation system,no sound system-a person could use a mp3 for that.Carbon fiber bags and tourpack, each of which could be easily removeable.Or go with a hannigan, one of which i owned that has storage compartments,maybe start with a crunche v max to attain efi.Who knows.But take 100 pounds off a venture and its stock hp will seem like much more.Mine is already enough.But make the bike for touring, not all the unnecessary features.I bet he could blueprint one with a starter bike, or tell me why it can't be done.But look at the new scout.1000 cc's, 100 hp.My goal is to stick with the yamaha v 4.Just my ideas.

Finally an owner of second gen venture.wahoo.

ronaldlbayless Posts: 29Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:18 amLocation: TX, DentonMember Number: 3616City: DentonState or Province: TXPTBAV since: 2013

Post a reply

1 post • Page 1 of 1

Return to General Tech Talk

Jump to: Quick-mod tools: [h=3]Who is online[/h] Users browsing this forum: ronaldlbayless and 0 guests

Remove cookies set by this forum