IGNORED

83 VR, Cam timing problem

So my engine is nearly back together. Its time to time the rear cylinders.

#1 cylinder is at TDC

Cams have been laid in position... Yes I know the chain isn't on them..

The exhaust cam, small hole, lines up with the mark on the boss perfectly (left cam)

The intake cam WONT line up. The intake lobes for cylinder 3 are hitting the buckets. This is as far as it will go.

Any idea whats going on?

Does anyone know how to time the cam without the small hole lining up?

I've spotted that the transmission issue was resolved awhile back. Maybe during that opening of the engine things were swapped out and now aren't exactly how their suppose to be. Just a thought. I've ridden this bike maybe 4000 miles before I opened the engine so I know, somehow, it can be timed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]98034[/ATTACH]

Additional info... The front cylinders intake cam is the same as the rear. It won't line up either.

OK, I think I may have figured it out.. I'll feel kinda dumb if this is the case, but oh well.. I'm humble. The cam is only suppose to line up by turning the cam and compressing the valve springs.. The exhaust does not have this issue. It will line up without compressing any valve springs. If someone will confirm if I'm right I would appreciate it.. I want to get this engine back in the frame.

Edited by Droneh8tr

I hope when you removed the cam caps that you numbered them so they will go back in their original positions. They were linebored with the caps torqued down before the cams were installed Also, the cam on the left does not look like it has a good surface where the cap goes. It may just be the picture.

Randy

I hope when you removed the cam caps that you numbered them so they will go back in their original positions. They were linebored with the caps torqued down before the cams were installed Also, the cam on the left does not look like it has a good surface where the cap goes. It may just be the picture.

Randy

Oh yeah... everything was marked and is going back in its original spot.. I think what your seeing is grease. The surfaces on everything is good.