IGNORED

Not Bike Related.......

ToyOdie

Just wanted to let any of you know. If you have a Mazda CX-7, Mazda 6, or Mazda Speed 3 you may be driving a time bomb. There is an issue with the Variable Valve Timing actuater. It is sub standard and WILL come apart. This will take out the timing chain. Since this is an intrusive engine (vales and pistion can occupie the same space) it will destroy the engine. This can happen at any time, any speed, or any driving conditions. Mazda aparently has been aware of the problem for several years and has service bullitins addressing the issue. Mazda extended the drivetrain warranty to 7 years or 70,000 mile for this reason. The only problem is most units fail @80,000 or more. The signs that you have a problem are 1) White smoke from tail pipe after long periods of idle (sitting in bad traffic) or 2) Loud clicking noise from engine (timing chain hitting valve cover) especially at cold startup. My CX-7 had the white smoke so I started researching. I found that Mazda had a service bulliten to replace the valve cover and the crankcase vent system. Accoring to a Mazda mechanic, this is only a band-aid. The seal in the turbo is going bad due to improper crankcase venting. The turbo needs to be replaced. I had Mazda remove the valve cover to inspect the VVT actuator and found the timing chain was just starting to touch the valve cover. Long story short (I know too late). I'm having the turbo, VVT and timing chain replaced before the engine lets go. One bright side to the story. Ther was a federal Class Action Lawsuit filed in New Jersey in August of this year. I am going to try to get involved to see if I can get some of my $4300 back. One more thing. If you try to have this issue resolved under warranty. The factory (not the dealer) will require maintenance records (oil changes) or they will not honor the warranty repair. This is the basis of the lawsuit.

Toy,, THANK YOU for the heads up!! This is the kind of stuff that makes our site special..

Are the models you are referring to all Turbo models and a problem only associated with Turbo Kia's?

Sorry to hear about the issues you have had, best wishes in dealing with trying get some re-embursement!

All the models are Mazda with the "L" code turbo engine. This includes the Mazda6, CX-7, Mazdaspeed3, Mazdaspeed6, and MX-5 turbo (Miata). Just do a Google search for "Mazda VVT problems" and you will find info for all the models and years that have the problems.