IGNORED

Question on Piston Rings

83 VR, VIN on the neck JYA31M00XDA002576, the engines VIN isn't their.

I see 3 choices for Piston rings, which one am I suppose to use? And, any ideas where I can get them?

I'm still getting the off white goo in the airbox. I'm burning oil too quickly and the antifreeze keeps going down and I've resealed the twinky.

I'm considering doing the head gasket and I thought while im in their I'll go ahead and do the rings.

I'm going to perform some additional tests but for now I'd like to get some info. and maybe start looking for some items.

An engine starts out with standard bore piston and rings. (STD)

As wear occurs it gets to the point where the engine is rebored to true up the cylinder.....the Venture

has 2 oversizes (0.25 MM & 0.50 MM). The pistons and ring sizes must match...ie Std piston/std rings etc

So without history on the engine, basically you would have to diassemble and determine whether it still

had standard pistons in it or not and whether the cylinder bore was worn to the point requiring a rebore.

If you rebore you need larger pistons and rings.

An engine starts out with standard bore piston and rings. (STD)

As wear occurs it gets to the point where the engine is rebored to true up the cylinder.....the Venture

has 2 oversizes (0.25 MM & 0.50 MM). The pistons and ring sizes must match...ie Std piston/std rings etc

So without history on the engine, basically you would have to diassemble and determine whether it still

had standard pistons in it or not and whether the cylinder bore was worn to the point requiring a rebore.

If you rebore you need larger pistons and rings.

Thanks Neil86, very informative.. This would clearly be more of a job than I thought. Maybe Ill consider a used engine.

When I re-ring an engine:

I send the bores to my machinist who measures them and may true them up some. From there he advises me on which pistons/rings I need.

Then I buy the pistons and rings and he does the final work on the bores to match them to the actual pistons I'll be using.

It's never a case of just slap a new set in and go. Or if it works it won't be for long.