IGNORED

California Superbike School

Tisunac

After thinking long and hard for a few months, weighing all pro's and con's (con being a price; pro being everything else) I finally decided to take a riding course (Level 1) at California Superbike School. One-day course at Virginia International Raceway in Danville, VA, one of the nicest tracks in the country. So, I would like to share my experience with you, just in case that somebody consider any type of a riding course. I am not associated in any way with the CSS, just sharing

CSS has been doing this for 34 years and I couldn't find one bad review for their school online. Any other riding course have a few unhappy students (which means nothing, I know...) while every CSS student was praising their way of teaching. So, I've decided to give it a try...

First of all - on their website and marketing material they claim the school is for every type of bike and every rider. When you get there soon enough you will notice that 90% of the bikes are sport bikes ("crotch rockets"), including the bikes they use for the class (bmw1000RR, phenomenal bikes but still pure sport bikes). And when you get on the track most bikes will fly by you since they'll be on a sport bikes. DON'T LET THAT DISCOURAGE YOU! Because what you will learn on the class can easily be transferred to any type of the bike!

I took a class on my "other" bike - Suzuki Vstrom 650. I tried their bmw1000RR and could not make it comfortable (I'm 6'3", around 250lb). I wish I could cause I wouldn't have to trail my Vstrom there but..... The registration started at 7:00am, if you don't have a full gear you can rent it from them ($75 for full one-piece leathers, boots, gloves, Schubert helmet). They divided us in 3 groups (don't know the criteria) and you go 20 min in class, 20 min on the track, 20 min break. Five different exercises, all about cornering. Starting with the easier ones and gradually go towards more difficult ones. Teaching in the class is first class - they KNOW HOW to explain it to you. After 20 min in the class the exercise made perfect sense. After 20 min of practicing that exercise on the track you really understand what they were talking about.

One track coach is responsible for 3-4 students so he will "visit" you on the track, observe you and show you how to do it - he will ride in front of you pointing it out exactly what should be done and observing you on the mirrors. Following him makes it even easier to figure it out. After the track time you meet with him off the track for a consultation and questions. Very valuable time.

Five exercises took all day (we were done just before 6:00pm). They feed you (breakfast, snacks, lunch, drinks,...). After all day you crave for more....

Money well spent. It made me a whole better and safer rider. Two days after I took my Venture for a ride and felt that I can lean that 900lb machine in the curve like it is a sport bike. Yes, you can ride faster but that was not my goal. I wanted to feel secure and confident when cornering and I achieved that. GREAT JOB CALIFORNIA SUPERBIKE SCHOOL!

This is quite a bit more - the class itself is $475 and that's if you are using your own bike. If you want to use their BMW1000RR than it's $200 more. The leathers rental is $75 (one peace leathers, helmet, boots, gloves). Still, in my opinion, worth every penny. It took me a while to convince myself to invest that much money in riding training but it was worth it.