IGNORED

Cruise Control.....

Bob and Mary

I rode from Fort Wayne, IN to St. Louis. The cruise control began accelerated about 5 mph occasionally. Anyone know how the cruise works?. It used to accelerate a little when going up hill and back off a little going down hill. When it accelerates unexpectedly, it rolls the throttle quite a bit. Any ideas on how to get it to settle down?

Probably a good start would be inspecting the vacuum actuator and cable to the throttle junction box. Maybe sticky so it keeps ramping up vacuum and finally gets a jump in the actuator movement. Ensure cable is lubricated and apply a vacuum (Mityvac) and check for smooth movement.

When the issue started my speedometer cable seemed to be working fine. As I rode the bike further, the speedometer needle began jumping and twitching and occasionally I could hear a squealing sound while riding. I borrowed some WD40 and lubed the cable. It didn't seem to help. Is the pickup for the cruise control in the speedometer? I'll probably replace the cable since a new one is available and only $20 or so new.

I also found a crack in one of the throttle cable housing ends. Again, still available and about $20. So I'm replacing it.

If that doesn't cure the cruise control problem, I'll check the vacuum actuator.