IGNORED

Sticky throttle and dirty carb joint clamp

jsb777

I removed the tank to access the throttle cable pulley.

When looking at the very end of the cable, at the carb, I discovered all the oily residue around the left rear (low side) carb and boot.

"Midrsv" dealt with this in a post on 6/2/2009 titled "Is this carb extraordinarily dirty?" (I don't know how to direct the readers of my post here to that post)

So, my oily residue does not appear to be an issue. I'm wondering a) is there any point in cleaning it up? b) HOW do I clean it up and what would I spray it with? and c) how much LESS oil should I add to reduce the problem at my next oil change?

My initial fear (I tend to think the worst!) was something was going on in the cylinder and so I pulled the plug to check its condition.

Attached a pic for your evaluation, but the plug looks decent to me.

The terminal nut is still in the boot. Any suggestions on how to remove it if I decide to change plugs?

What are the tricks for accessing the FRONT 2 plugs? Just looking at them makes me tend to shy away from the plug change altogether.

As usual, I am grateful for your collective wisdom, experience and willingness to share of your knowledge.

Thanks!

John

Here is a link to Midrsv' post that is refered to by jsb777

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36541

to do this just find the short cut that gets you to the post and right click on it, select "Copy Short Cut" from the menu and then paste that link where ever you want.

Never hurts to clean up the grime if you can, the one issue is keping it from running down on places you do not want the crude to go, Iam a litle lazy and usually ignore it unless it is really bad then spray with carn cleaner and try to ctch the dripping with a rag.

Front plugs are not to bad, some do not, but I always pul ny tank to change plugs, jus pull the dogbone links and it is easy just like the rears. Out of an abudance of caution I always pul just one dogbone at a time, and make sure you blow out the well that the plug sits in, they tend to collect all kind of debris that could fall inot the cylinder when you remove the plug.

Oil level on next change should be just under the line on the windoow with the bike straight up, that wil reduce the oil getting to the carbs via the vent tubes.

The terminal nut , I guess you are referring to the one on the top of the plug, they not used , the boot just slips over the treaded stem on the top of the plug.