IGNORED

Flooding on #3, need help

Hi Folks,

Been doing a lot of work trying to get my bike straight (see my other post).

I'm flooding on #3, running the bike at idle with out the air box and looking down the carbs. I see a LOT of fuel coming from the power jet. It pulses with the intake stroke. Other three carbs are not like this, #4 has some fuel coming from the same port but not much. #1 & 2 are dry at idle.

When I rev the bike all four look consistent. Here is some of the work I've done:

New diaphragm in #1

Set all floats to 9mm

Power needle is set to the #3 position from pointed end and has a shim

I will remove carbs for the fourth time to inspect but at this point I have no idea why I have so much fuel coming out of this port.

I have inspected float needle and o rings, all look good.

Should these be totally dry at Idle?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

SOUND LIKE YOU HAVE FLOATS STICKING OR VALVE SEATS NOT SEALING. when you rev the engine up you may see a little gas but not a lot. did you look at the O-rings around the needle seat, the little brass round thingy the needles set in. last time I redid mine, I used a 1/8" drill bit and hand drilled the hole where the seat seals off. spin it lightly till you bevel the hole a little, so the seat seals better. I've putted mine off and sending them to a guy in Ar and he's sending me his, which i'll rebuild to put back on mine. I hope to get another set rebuilt soon after that. been tied up trying to get my house finished so city will get off my back.

Taz,

I have inspected the float needle, seat & o ring. All appear to be fine, I will try the drill bit.

Do you have a source that rebuilds these carburetors in AR? If so can you pass on the info to me? I 'm wondering if I had a blocked passage, would it flood like it is? PO kind of butchered the aluminum around the idle jet but not enough to lose a seal around the needle. If I knew how to in-port a photo I would post it.

Are you trying to get an extra set of carbs?

well i have a couple sets of carbs that i usually rebuild incase some body needs a set. i also know a guy who has a new set in boxes and a rejet kit and he's asking $1250 for them. if i get a set rebuilt i'll swap out with you or sell them outright to you.

• 1 month later...

WELL!! I rebuilt a #3 set of carbs and sent to bob and he got them on and said the bike is running like it never has since he's had it. he'll be sending back his 2 carbs and I'm going thru them and see if I can figure out what's wrong with them. i'll post what I find or not find with them.

bob also tried to get a set of carbs from Rick's Motorcycle Enterprise out of NH and they sent him a set of 32mm and not 28mms. he's had a bad time trying to get his money back for their mistake. I checked them out on yelp and found a couple of bad reviews and a 3 on BBB website.

http://www.bbb.org/concord/business-reviews/motorcycles-dealers/ricks-motorcycle-enterprises-in-plaistow-nh-3001440/complaints

so if you are looking to do business with them, be aware!!

ANYWAY! he's back up and running and pretty happy now.

it's according to what you have and what you want. if you just want them rebuilt back to stock standards or want to go to a rejet to get more power out of it and also what parts are bad on yours that needs replacing. right now I'm waiting on a set and half to get back to me and see what they need to be fixed, I hope to get them this week. i'll let you know as soon as I can.