IGNORED

Differences between a rigid sidecar vs leaning one

cabreco

What are the main differences between a "regular" sidecar and the leaning one (beside that the bike can lean).

What are the handling capabilities. My reason to trike or sidecare is stability as I get older, would a leaning rig make the bike twice as heavy to stand up from the sidestand or is it the same as a rigid rig?

Guest tx2sturgis

You might want to go right to the place where they know about sidecars...

http://sidecar.com/default.asp

http://sidecar.com/mbbs22/category-view.asp

Surely someone there should be able to answer the questions.

My experience with sidecars is limited to my Ural outfit...I can tell you that riding a sidecar rig is a LOT different from riding a 2 wheel bike.

Hopefully you will find what you need on that website.

:happy34:

You might want to go right to the place where they know about sidecars...

Thanks Brian. I found my exact answer in one of their threads. A flex rig would ride like my solo bike using leans & counterbalance only it's like balancing 2 bikes at once. Something I could do NOW but my ability to do so would diminish as I get up in years.

Thanks for the help

Guest tx2sturgis
Thanks Brian. I found my exact answer in one of their threads. A flex rig would ride like my solo bike using leans & counterbalance only it's like balancing 2 bikes at once. Something I could do NOW but my ability to do so would diminish as I get up in years.

Thanks for the help

I dug through the forums just now and found this one:

http://sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=11664&posts=6&start=1

I joined that website so I can see the pics, and that Equalean is a strange looking rig. I have seen the articulating rigs on youtube, but never in person.

On that forum, they mention the fact that the 'leaners' dont extend your riding season on snowy or icy pavement...which I never even thought about.

I caught one poster's comment that they had left an Equalean hack 'behind the shop' hoping it would be stolen!

I surely like the Ural, as it allows me to ride all year long...no matter the road conditions. (more than a foot of snow and it gets dicey!)

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Guest tx2sturgis
The ural is a nice rig. The price of the Equilean I saw was cheap $1,500 considering it's all set up for a Gen1 BUT I think I'll probably just go with my original idea & trike my

Gen 1.

Trikes are a great way to go...but more or less permanent...(unless you want a Voyager-type rig).

Trike conversions tend to be pricey...but again, the result is usually worth it.

On the other hand, a sidecar can be removed when the need is no longer there, and the cost is usually a lot less.

If you plan on riding the rig on longer trips, I would stick with a trike conversion...no matter the cost.

But if you just ride mostly around town and on trips of say 200 miles or less, then a sidecar might make sense for you.

Either way, the point is, you will still be able to keep riding!

The Gen1 was bought for long distance rides. My wife & I ran down to tail of the Dragon this summer which is about 9 hours from home. We had a lot of fun but it was hard on the bones. By the time I got home I could barely lift the Gen 1 off the side stand because of the tall stance that it has. So we are looking for alternatives. I do have a CB750 that I ride around town, and I do plan on picking up either an Ultra Glide or an RSV for touring closer to home. Both of those have a nice low stance & is easier to manage. Since my gen 1 only has 16K original miles it would make a lasting trike for the long hauls, especially pulling a trailer.

Guest tx2sturgis
.... I do plan on picking up either an Ultra Glide or an RSV for touring closer to home. Both of those have a nice low stance & is easier to manage.

Have you actually ridden an RSV? I never thought of mine as having a 'nice low stance'...in fact, its pretty top-heavy and a bit of a climb into the saddle.

But once you settle in, its very comfy for a long day in the saddle.

Have you actually ridden an RSV? I never thought of mine as having a 'nice low stance'...in fact, its pretty top-heavy and a bit of a climb into the saddle.

But once you settle in, its very comfy for a long day in the saddle.

No, I was looking at a few RSV's at a meet & eat last year. Compared to my Gen1 they were vey low. I did get to straddle a nice Ultra Glide which felt NIIIICE! I just hate to plunk down HUGE coin for the Harley name. I looked at the 1800 Goldwing and they are as tall as my Gen1. I do like the RSV dash & lines & you can get a nice low mileage one under 10k.