IGNORED

anatomy of a spark plug wire

so my carb keeps popping and i pull the plug on that cylinder

it has black carbon ,all the rest have a red tint to the grey

i go to cut off a 1/4 inch of the thing and it is a solid core stranded copper wire,, weel go get the multimeter

wire has good ohms

cap has some thing going on

I have plenty of hotrod parts laying around so if worse comes to worse i will screw top on plug and run hotrod wires :lightbulb:

so the inside unscrews and under it is a 'flat coin 'for contact ,under that is a resistor,,just like on the old cars on the firewall with the springs on them ,, and under that is a spring.. pull spring it has corrosion like a battery terminal,

I took a wire and stuck down inside cap to ohm out wire again,, nothing:confused24:

I scraped and scraped stuffout finally got a reading , long story short,

I wound up taking a strand of copper wire out of a house plug, these are thin strands wound it around the very end of spring stuck it in the hole got ohms reading ,, this after all the cleaning ,,

so I fired it up and then pulled the plug fire jumped out the end of the plug when i was at the top of the head very strong fire now :cool10::bighug:no more popping so far:fingers-crossed-emo

Oh the wire end of the cap only screws into wire ,, it has a screw sticking out that screws into the wire and the inside metal part is pressed into plastic when the plug end screws in ,, fool proof,,

NOT IN THE BOOK

NGK makes 5000 ohm resistor caps that will screw right on the new wires you should replace also. Any bike shop or Dennis Kirk bass this stuff. Not worth screwing with the 20 year old stuff for the price.

your right , for me , this could easily turn into a " money pit"

I just want to ride it ,, and have more time than money,,

information is power , let somebody else fix it for you .. you will know for sure then