IGNORED

If it weren't for bad luck.

revinger

Okay, I had let my subscription expire and this week was just enough to push me over the edge and pay up.

I start on 2 weeks vacation on saturday. I "was" all set to take some long rides. Memorial day weekend I took a short 1200 miler from my place down to atlanta, ride the georgia mountains and back. I became nervous the friday afternoon before hand that I didnt have enough tread on the rear tire. So I went to to the local dealer picked up a dunlop E3 and spent 3 hours that firday night getting it installed for a Saturday departure. All went well.

yesterday the wife calls and asks if we can meet for lunch. I work from home, hopped on the bike did the 6 miles to town and then came back home. Uneventful, Last night I got on the bike to go to the grocery store. Sat down on it and thought someone had put a lowering kit on it. back tire was flat, my 1600 mile at best tire flat.

jacked it up spun the tire expecting to find something metallic and instead there is this nice 'white' shard sticking out of the thickest part of the tread. Poked at it and it was a chunk of bone. The dogs collect deer parts during deer season and well I cant seem to get rid of all the bones they drug up. My luck I rode across a chunk yesterday and lacerated the tire.

I dug the crud out and where it went through the belt felt to be not much bigger than the plug file. I went ahead and plugged it. I know it is frowned on by some but darn it wasnt a cheap tire and is barely worn.

Now today at lunch I go out to check to see if its holding pressure, and well, my venture has decided to take a leak on the floor. I thought I had pinched an oil line somewhere with the jack but I dropped to the floor and find that its the rear shock leaking profusely.

So now I have a tire I am not sure I can trust and a rear shock that has let go of most of its oil. So much for the spare cash for a long distance ride on vacation.

Not sure what I will do about the tire, but just how bad is it to ride around on a rear shock that has lost its seal?

So much for my sob story.

Well, my wife offered me her 600 shadow to go on a ride, but it just isnt the same thing.

bob

WOW that is sad ...put orange goo in the tire ... shock can be rebuilt or replaced ,, or get a pillow to sit on

still sad though.. just did a tire cause something got in between the front tire and fender cut the side wall,, ... 150$ quick

No, i've Never put a bell on my bike, maybe that is the problem.

Going to pull the wheel tonight our Sunday and put a patch on the inside. Just dread the effott required to get off the rim.

Sent from my GT-S5830M using Tapatalk 2

Just came in from a couple hour wrestling match with the rear tire. The plug was holding pressure the last day, but the first 24 hours it didnt. Acquired some radial patches from a car parts store.

The surprise when i removed the tire, was the hunk of bone laying loose inside the tire. 2 inches long by 7/16 wide by 1/4 inch thick. Needless to say the hole on the inside of the tire was considerably larger than I had originally thought.

I've put a patch on then inside, pumped it up and its on the bike. I didnt put the side bags back on because I will be surprised if the tire is still at the same pressure in the morning. While finishing up, I decided this an 'opportunity', It may be time to go, sit down, and go dark side. I had considered it before I bought this Dunlop, and since it may have met an extremely premature demise. I may be tire shopping tomorrow.

Shock is still dripping, ride at least for the few short rides I made on it with the plugged tire felt normal. Looking at some of the other threads I see I am not alone this month with "BSS" Blown Shock Syndrome.

time for some sleep, dreaming of what its like to not have a blown shock.

I think I have talked myself into realizing this tire is just trash.even with the internal patch it's still slow ltaking and in daylight the external gash looks worse than initialassessment.i've got the metzler I pulled off memorial day weekend that still may have s thousand or two of usable life, I am getting to good at pulling the back wheel though and would prefer to only do it one more time this summer.

Think I will car tire it, probably have to order one, guessing nobody near me Carries thay size in stock,isma couple hours from Indianapolis, if I could find a place up there with a Goodrich tire I might just drive up st this point.burning vacation days to work on motorcycle, no matter how much I like the bike is just wrong.

the replacement used shock arrived today. 2 days in transit for half way across the continent not bad. I got the shock put on sat on it and noticed something, no squeaky squeaky noise.I took it for a very short 4 mile ride on my leaky tire and suspect that my original shock was in some state of bad since I got the bike. No squeaks and it was a totally different ride.

Tire is supposed to show u UPS tomorrow, so another day of vacation will be spent wrestling the machine in the garage instead of on the road.

Darn gremlins, dark side tire on, shock replaced buy boss called asking if I could cut vacation short, crisis at work. Looks like any road trip will be delayed for a week our more. I don't think even a first gen venture could out run these gremlins.

Oh well, it well give me a little time to get adjusted locally to the dark side before venturing out on a long ride.

Darn gremlins, dark side tire on, shock replaced buy boss called asking if I could cut vacation short, crisis at work. Looks like any road trip will be delayed for a week our more. I don't think even a first gen venture could out run these gremlins.

Oh well, it well give me a little time to get adjusted locally to the dark side before venturing out on a long ride.

You got to learn to trick them!! I retired!! They ain't figured it out yet!!!:whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

I rode 300 miles over the weekend. Went on a test ride down to cave in rock ilinois to the state park. Took a tiny tent and a summer sleeping bag with me, didn't take a pad to lay on, stupid. Slept badly and apparently on my right side as I about couldn't walk from a stiff leg this morning 24 hours later. I am a jogger, I have not been this sore after running 8 miles.

The bike did great , I think I Will skip the camping though . I came back home Sunday morning as needed to help my daughter pick out s computer for college. Going to attempt to head for Natchez miss in the morning. With no planning for where I will stop or stay. Not the best but I like the randomness of doing it this way.688 miles according to google. If I make it close will ride the trace back up to Nashville. Kids and wife are in a local play Friday night they would like me to be back for.

Well see if I have the gremlins dealt with or not.