IGNORED

Lecture I gave at U of M on Turbocharger Driven Alternators and CV Transmissions

GG54172

Not Venture Related, but I thought some of you gearheads may be interested in a 26 Minute lecture I gave at U of M on Turbo Charger driven Alternators and one particular type of CVT which is currently found in the toyota prius and the ford escape.

The lecture is in three parts, each about 9 minutes, and overlap slightly.

Constructive / Non constructive critism is appreciated. Also, if youn click on the little grey button in the corner of the veiwing screen, you will toggle to full screen mode.

Part 1 of 3

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ouzlUW9EKE]YouTube - Turbo Charged Alternator and CV Transmissions Part 1 of 3[/ame]

Part 2 of 3

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLVNFhFxjuA]YouTube - Turbo Charged Alternator and CV Transmissions Part 2 of 3[/ame]

Part 3 of 3

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPiJoP2RbcI]YouTube - Turbo Charged Alternator and CV Transmissions Part 3 of 3[/ame]

Who was your lecture given to? What level of students? It seems to be basically a review of the present operation of hybrid vehicles as they are in use today. And you didn't connect the first part of the lecture...use of a turbocharger to drive an alternator, to the second part of the lecture...hybrid vehicle drivetrains. Would the turbocharger driven alternator be added to the hybrid powertrain to re-capture the internal combustion engine's lost heat as electricity to power the electric motor(s), and help re-charge the elctrical storage unit? Thereby increasing the efficiency of the overall power train? Of course, that is the inference. But you should connect the 2 ideas.

By the way, I liked the last frame, where you borrow one of my favorite quotes from Gen. Patton. Powerpoint presentations are THAT bad?

---------------

To add overall efficiency, wouldn't it be more efficient to replace the (supposedly) gasoline powerplant with a deisel? I believe that as an engine that runs at a constant rpm, or to run over a limited amount of rpm, the deisel is more efficient than a gasoline powered engine? But maybe that is beyond the intended scope of your presentation...back to my first question, who is your audience?

Who was your lecture given to?

The lecture was given to my Automotive sensors and actuators class at U of M dearborn. Master's level students with electrical, computer, or mechanical engineering backgrounds.

What level of students? It seems to be basically a review of the present operation of hybrid vehicles as they are in use today.

Yes, basically a review.

And you didn't connect the first part of the lecture...use of a turbocharger to drive an alternator, to the second part of the lecture...hybrid vehicle drivetrains. Would the turbocharger driven alternator be added to the hybrid powertrain to re-capture the internal combustion engine's lost heat as electricity to power the electric motor(s), and help re-charge the elctrical storage unit? Thereby increasing the efficiency of the overall power train? Of course, that is the inference. But you should connect the 2 ideas.

The electric driven turbocharger was added to increase the length of the rpesentation. Kind of at the last minute. Yes I should have tied the two ideas together better.

By the way, I liked the last frame, where you borrow one of my favorite quotes from Gen. Patton. Powerpoint presentations are THAT bad?

If you had any idea how many powerpoints I veiw each week, and how many times I have been asked to send a "chart" to my boss....you would understand my intense hatred for PP. Did you read the first slide? It was a spin off of the Marine Corp rifle prayer.

This is my powerpoint, there are many others like it but this one is mine.....

To add overall efficiency, wouldn't it be more efficient to replace the (supposedly) gasoline powerplant with a deisel? I believe that as an engine that runs at a constant rpm, or to run over a limited amount of rpm, the deisel is more efficient than a gasoline powered engine? But maybe that is beyond the intended scope of your presentation...back to my first question, who is your audience?

Yes, why diesels aren't more popular baffles me. I hear complaints that they are noisy and smelly, but yes, they have higher compression ratios, which makes them more efficient.