IGNORED

Inner Fairing

I have a 2006 RSV 56K miles. I have noticed a little bit of rattling in my fairing (only when going over bumps etc...) lately. Decided to take a closer look today. If I take my hands, just outside of the windshield, I can wiggle the entire cowling assembly back and fourth just a little bit. I have been riding this bike for 5 years and seems to be more play in there then I remember. My anti vibration rubber blocks are still attached and no risers (yet) on my handle bars. I looked in the service manual and the only thing I see that could be snugged down are two nuts connecting to bolts coming out of the front forks....is this correct?? Any other place I might look to "snug" down the cowling assembly or is this play normal and I am just now noticing?? I get nervous any time I need to snug anything with the fairing. Seems like the tabs and all are a bit frail and thin! Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated as always!

Is it actually wiggling or is it just flexing? You may need to split the fairing and take a close look inside at those two mounting bolts. See if the inner fairing is cracked near that area although that is very unusual. There is a sea of wires in there too so you may need a flashlight to look in there. If your not the original owner its possible that the previous owner had the fairing off and never properly snugged the bolts down.

The bolts are behind the handle bar mounts. Good is fairing is not cracked. I ordered a set of baron's handle bar risers and when those come in I will try to snug those two bolts down and see what happens!

A little embarrassing but problem solved. My passing lamp bolts had come lose. Tightened back up with a little loctite and there is no more rattle/play in my fairing....dang!

Also check your lower (clear) wind deflectors. They have a tendency to loosen and rattle. Sometimes will fall off if not checked and tightened. Just removed, loctited the bolts, and replaced mine the other day.