IGNORED

2nd Gear Stall

I have an '04 Midnight RSV with 51,000+ miles on it. Purchased 2 years ago and have had no mechanical problems until about 3 weeks ago. I've taken 2 or 3 trips around 100 miles and sometime during the trip when I run up in 1st gear and shift into 2nd, the bike dies soon as I let the clutch out (Just like I hit the kill switch or the key was turned off .). Most of the time, if I shift back into 1st and let the clutch out, it fires right back up. Wednesday it happened again and this time it didn't fire back up when I dropped back to 1st. I shut the key off and turned it back on and it fired right back up. Any ideas?

Had some maintenance done on it and my mechanic tried to get it to duplicate the probelem, but as I said, it might only happens once or twice in a 100 mile trip? The mechanic checked the kickstand switch, checked electrical problems throughout the bike and found no problems. He has a Royal Star himself and 25 years experience many on RSV's and has not heard of such a problem before.

The bike runs great, otherwise, but am a little nervous about going any distance with it. My buddy and I are tentatively planning a week long trip in a couple weeks and for the first time, I'm not sure I trust the bike to go. Can anyone help with an idea?

The interlock circuits between the neutral and side stand switches is a bit complicated to trace on the schematic, but your problem is definitely in there. I cannot remember the details of how it works, but maybe you can find some old posts from me four or five years ago where I described it in detail. Hopefully you will find an easy fix, like a loose plug or bad ground, but if not, let me know and I'll try to look into it again for you.

Goose

There is a very nice explanation, with pictures, about how to diagnose the interlock system in the service manual (which is on this site, in the tech library section).

You want to make sure the following work as they should (i.e. "ON" when they're on, "OFF" when they're off and no wiggling in between ;-) ):

- clutch switch

- neutral switch

- sidestand switch

Then, if all three check out, you want the SCCR to work fine (the manual mentioned above describes exactly what pins to measure on the SCCR and how).

And if all four check out OK, then (assuming the emergency stop switch, errrrr, both of them :p , are perfectly fine too) it's gremlins!