IGNORED

3000 rpm sputter and loss of power

Bob and Mary

Headed for work this am and got about a mile or so from home. 86 VR would sputter and spit at three grand and lose power. Took the truck to work and when I got home I put a new fuel filter on the bike. Still no luck. Symptoms continue... what do I check/ replace next?

ALthough a clogged fuel line causes grief at higher demand rates (rpm), it's seldom so tightly tied to an rpm so specific. You will get gas in the carb bowl at lower rpm and be able to get on the throttle but when the bowl empties, the clogged line can't refill fast enough and she sputters.

Have the carbs been synced recently? Does it sputter at 3K in all gears? If so, it sounds like you have one or two cylinders dropping out... could be carb related but would lean toward a TCI problem.

Also might want to check your carb diaphrams.. I also had something simular to this happens and found a couple bad plug caps - high resistance through the caps.. Blackened plugs (from over choking) can cause it too...

Fuel pump no longer clicks when I go to start the bike. I plan on getting an AutoZone part # e8005 electric fuel pump. From what I have read in the forums this looks like a reasonable replacement as far as size shape and pressure. I'll let you know how it turns out. While I was at it I blew out the air filter... it didn't look that bad but since it is the original, I found a new original equipment on line for $28 with free shipping and it's on it's way.:fingers-crossed-emo

Between the bike not working, the truck needing fixed, the tree that fell over in the back yard.... I finally got my brand spankin' new, never been used air cleaner and put it on. Rode the bike for a couple of miles. Bike now runs fine. Tomorrow's ride to work will tell. If it proves that a new air cleaner was all that was needed... I'll probably change it more often than every 80K miles (even if I blow it out every year.)

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that so many riders are willing to help out.

Live Free,

Ride Safe

:322: