IGNORED

Insurance Discounts

Bobby G

I just got my annual bill from Allstate, and the annual premium jumped about $100 for both bikes. I called my agent, and we went through all of the coverages to see why the increase. I lost one discount that I got last year when I switched from Progressive (transfer discount), but we also discovered that I qualified for a few others that were not previously noted on the policy, such as having taken the MSF course, membership in a few organizations like CMA, and low and behold, also a discount for Venture Riders! This is unique to Allstate, and you have to ask for it. All combined, my new discounts lowered my premium back down to what it was last year, even after losing the big one.

It pays to ask!

:cool10:

I am an insurance agent in Georgia and I specialize in motorcyle insurance. I get a lot of my business from motorcycle dealers. A dealer in North Georgia starting referring business to me one day so I visited the dealer to thank them. The sales manager said no, thank you. You have saved us a lot of sales because you always get the customer the best rate available. I represent 6 companies that I have dealt with for years that have the best rates and service available. One thing I have learned is that just because a companie says they have discounts, doesnt' mean they have the best rate. That is a gimmick companies use. The only thing that matters is the bottom line rate. I have seen Allstate ads they say the have coverage for as low as $100 per year. This is for liability only. I have companies that will write liability only for as low as $45 per year. My experience shows that Allstate isn't very competetive. I recently replaced an Allstate policy and the customer wanted me to make sure I was quoting an annual rate and not six months. When I asked him why, he said my annual rate was lower than Allstate's six month rate. I recently received a flyer in the mail touting their low motorcycle rates. I called and their rate was almost $900 per year and the rep said how's that. I said not too good as I am paying $300 per year for the same coverage. I have seen companies advertise they have discounts up to 40% but their rates even after the discount are more than some companies that don't offer 40% discount. You just need to check around. No one company is always the best. For example, if you have a trike I have a company that beats everyone. If you have a can am spyder there is another company that beats everyone. If you have a hayabusa I have a company that will be every company out there. You never can say a company is the best.

Thanks for the info. I am very pleased with my experience with Allstate, although up until last year, they were totally not competitive in their rates. But they regrouped and came back out with excellent rates, and coupled with my auto and homeowners, I now get the maximum multi-coverage discounts and lowered my motorcycle annual premium by over 50% from what Progressive was charging me. For the RSV and the Softail, I now pay under $500 a year for full coverage, including collision, comprehensive and up to $5,000 in add-on's. I could lower it by dropping to the minimum coverages and increasing my deductible, but I'm into protection, not skimping to save a few bucks.

To your point, you really have to check things out for the bikes you own and the level of protection you want. I feel pretty good about what I've got for two bikes for under $500 a year.

Good to hear. I don't know why anyone would insure their bike with Progressive but it's amazing how many do. Progressive is one of the six companies I represent but I can't tell you the last time Progressive was competetive. I have moved most of the customers I had with progressive to other companies.

Mike and I used Progressive for many years because after the fiasco we had with State Farm, Progressive was the only company that didn't make us jump through hoops with paperwork regarding my disability until we found Eddie. Yeah it was alot higher, but I didn't have to have my doc do multiple forms just to try to get coverage. Eddie has made the process painless and even answers questions when we need help lol.

Hey BobbyG;

I just got off the phone will Allstate getting a quote on my bike. I carry 100/300/50 liablity, same uninsured motorist with the added on option, $10,000 med pay, $3,500 accessories coverage, roadside assistance and $250. deductible comprehensive and collison. Their rate $847 per year. I pay $310 per year with foremost. Allstate only gives you $1,000 in accessory coverage and they don't have a discount for being a member of venturerider.org. They have a discount for Victory owners but not yamaha or venture riders. You might want to check with your agent and make sure what he told you is correct. Of course the best way to check if he or she is correct is to read your policy.