IGNORED

A good WWII refresher

mbrood

I just returned yesterday from a visit to Oahu. My first order of business was to go to the Pearl Harbor Memorial. I had two Uncles on Oahu when it was attacked, My Uncle Jack ( Dad's oldest brother ) was stationed at Pearl Harbor as a Naval Intelligence Officer and witnessed the attack up close and personal, he also was involved in the rescue and recovery efforts following the attack. Uncle John would later marry my dad's oldest sister, he was in the Army. They would never talk to us about their war experiences much but as kids do we would listen in from the next room over. My dad often was the subject of some ribbing from them. My dad was in the Korean war and was assigned to take photographs and write positive war stories to send home. During a mortar attack he climbed under a jeep and received a purple heart after a large fragment tore into his butt cheek and some smaller pieces scattered peppered his left side.

The memorial is also a reminder not just of the personal sacrifice but also of the resolve of the American People after the attack.