IGNORED

This is really flying!!!

kenw

Interesting, but I wonder if it actually happened, or was it photo shopped?? Kinda like the guy sliding down a mountain ski jump and hitting a swimming pool 100 yards away..... I did understand one word in the dialog... :)

For what it's worth, many years ago my parents took a trip to Europe and bought a toy for my daughter. It was a small plastic bird with flapping wings that were activated by a wound up rubber band. It flew surprisingly well - no propellers, just the wings flapping. So...mechanically, it can be done. Now, as to whether or not someone can generate enough strength for long enough to actually do it...well, it sure looked real, but with today's special effects capability available to anyone who can afford a computer...I'd like an independent witness.

Sure would be cool! And if it works, an electric motor and some gears could be attached to give your arms a break.

Andy

Just had to check into this. Here's a link to a news article on the guy. Seems the wings are powered by electric motors and use parts from Nintendo Wii controllers which use the movement of his arms to activate the wings.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/20/man-flies-like-a-bird-with-home-made-cyborg-wings/

Way too much spare time on his hands.

Andy