IGNORED

Easier Fitting of Rear Wheel.

Hi everyone.

I know the subject has been mentioned in passing in previous threads but I thought I would go over the situation again but with some photographs this time.

As most riders know the removal and fitting of a 2nd Gen. Rear wheel is a real bind so after the last time I refitted the rear wheel to the cost of four stitches to my right hand when the wheel came off the splines and pushed my hand into the side of the rear fender.

I thought about a better way and came up with this, I checked on the site too and it is mentioned in passing on another thread.

First I raised the bike up to the top of the lift and placed the wheel under the rear fender, I then positioned it and carefully lowered the lift down to a height that I could easily lift the wheel up. I have an old axle (you could use a length of round bar) that fits first into the pumpkin and through to the swing arm. (Left to right through pumpkin) oposite to the proper axle. I had both mufflers removed as I had removed the rear end to clean and grease the swing arm bushes otherwise you would have to remove the left muffler to do it.

The axle or bar protrudes from the pumpkin so that the wheel when lifted is placed on it and pushed and slightly rotated to engage the drive splines. It can then be pushed all the way through to fully support the wheel.

You can then put the original axle through the swing arm and brake bracket etc from right to left and this will push the other axle out from the left side as you push the axle back in the proper place.

I hope this can be of help as it made life so easy and I managed it single handed and still have all my fingers.

The job is made a lot simpler.

Neil. (Old Miner).:backinmyday:

That would work. Or you could do what I have been doing for years.....I use a floor jack to remove and install the rear wheel. I come in from the right side, raise it up to take some pressure off the spline, wiggle the wheel while sliding the jack back out and once it clears the spline, I lower it. Same for installation, only reverse. Makes it easier then having to heft that wheel up into place.:smile5: