IGNORED

StaCool Vest

colmike

http://www.stacoolvest.com/index.php (StaCool Vest) Have any of our members tried this vest? After 25 days of 100+ temps here in Texas, and no relief in sight, I may be ready to make the investment. I would sure like to hear from other members that may have first hand knowledge of the effectiveness and ease of use of this cooling vest. The other vest I am considering is the CoolWing Rider Vest seen here http://www.coolwingrider.com/.

I have tried and did not care for the evaporative cooling vest. Simple, inexpensive, but not very effective, uncomfortable, and butt-ugly.

Thanks, and stay cool out there.

I have not tried the StayCool vest, but I do have a similar product from www.coolvest.com

It uses ice packs that "freeze" at 59°. The packs fully recharge in a cooler of ice/water in only 20 minutes. Additionally, the CoolVest ice packs are completely non-toxic, should they ever leak. Packs have a lifetime guarantee and the vests are made in the USA (Florida, to be exact). It also comes in high-vis green with ANSI reflective stripes, for a few extra $s.

From 95°+ rides to 100° temperatures on an asphalt parking lot teaching the MSF basic rider course, the vest has done a great job. The cooling lasts about 2.5 hours in the full summer sun.

I have no connection to the company... they just make a great product that I highly recommend without reservation.

Edited by SteveP

Steve,

Thanks for the input. I checked out the link you provided and browsed their ads. I do like the fast recharge time possible, and the fact that the cooling pack recharge can be performed in a portable ice cooler. That sure makes the vest a lot easier to use for motorcyclists, especially if you're on the road or camping and don't have ready access to a freezer. I'll add this vest to my list of those being considered.

One of the cons the StaCool Vest people use in their product information is that the cooling agent used in this RPCM vest technology is paraffin based and note the flammability of paraffin. That is certainly a consideration, since paraffin's flammability is noteworthy..., I use paraffin fire-starters to start my charcoal and it does work very well. Just something to think about. I'll probably give the Cool Vest people a call and get their input.

:detective:

I use one from Joe Rocket. I think it is the Sahara. It helps a lot on those 100 degree days. I also have the evaporative bandana. I use one of the small coolers and keep an extra bandana on ice. I stick the vest in the ice chest during gas stops. It will recharge well in 10-15 minutes.