I'm in the process of re-assembling my 01 Venture motor, (broken wrist pin). All is going well except when I follow the service manual for the installation of the cams (verrrrrry carefully) something just doesn't look correct. The position and relationship of the cam lobes , (intake to exaust), is not the same at TDC on compression when comparing cyl.'s 1&3 to cyl.'s 2&4. The manual states that at TDC the intake and exaust lobes should be pointing away from each other, this is the case for cyl.'s 2&4 but not for 1&3.

Any one want to chime in on this one?

Dan

Sounds normal for this bike. Without trying to carefully understand your exact post and comment on the specifics of which cam is which, I can tell you that when you follow the manual to find TDC, two of the cylinders have the cam lobes pointed up but away from each other, and two of them have the cam lobes pointed up but towards each other.

I also seem to recall that the cam alignment marks are quite confusing with two marks very close together that are not well defined. Also be aware that the Yamaha shop manual is FULL of errors, some of them quite significant. I do not recall if there are any errors on this particular subject, but if something doesn't seem right, research it more before you believe the manual (just like you are doing here!).

Goose