Been chasing a coolant leak from the rear left hand cyl its been droping down and sitting on the rubber cover for the clutch bleed screw.Today i decided to remove the false air fin on that side to see if i could find where it was coming from, just below the 3 holes that hold the fins in place is a 4th threaded hole that was wet around it wiped clean and dry thought i should go for a quick blast to be sure thats the correct leak.I anly got a Klm from home and coolant was pissing out got home asap. Found out that this is a welsh plug of some sort it and it blew out under pressure must screw in and snap off under tension i imagine.

Two things lernt today 1/ Yamaha parts are really expensive $55 for the plug

2/ Dont ride your bike with the false fins off as they are designed to hold this plug in place

More money more dramas just love it but would rather be riding

Edited by teza51

You sure you are looking at the correct part?

Those plugs (which I believe are for frost protection) are about $5 each for the 1st Gen.

The screw thread is to assist removal, it's spark plug sized.

Will know more later tonite ive been into the shop this arvo and they have no idea home taken some pics and printed them to help identify them i must admit looking at the parts plan they have even i could not match them