IGNORED

Need advice on Americade

Gary N.

We are planning to attend Americade this year, the week after Freebird's maintenance day. After checking out the registration form on line, I'm a little confused and undecided.

http://store.tourexpo.com/productcart/pc/home.asp

Wondering if someone who has been there and done that can advise us on how to do it. Is the full registration worth it? How about the organized rides? Seems like all the rides etc. cost extra $$$. Is it better just to pay to get into the trade show and go on our own rides? I don't mind paying the fees if they are worth it.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

We are planning to attend Americade this year, the week after Freebird's maintenance day. After checking out the registration form on line, I'm a little confused and undecided.

http://store.tourexpo.com/productcart/pc/home.asp

Wondering if someone who has been there and done that can advise us on how to do it. Is the full registration worth it? How about the organized rides? Seems like all the rides etc. cost extra $$$. Is it better just to pay to get into the trade show and go on our own rides? I don't mind paying the fees if they are worth it.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Attended a lot, this year will be first in 15 or so years that I'm not going (long story). I usually paid for a full registration. That includes a dinner, event like a rodeo, or a boat ride. Did the dinner once. Definitely do a boat ride. These are steam ships or boats on Lake George, usually around dinner time. They've also added a breakfast cruise and later evening one. You get fed on all of them. Its food for the masses, don't expect gormet. But the lake is incredible, the boat trip well worth it. As for the rides, these are large groups of bikes. Well organized with Americade lead riders, a middle of the pack person and a chase bike. Rides leave early in the morning from a parking lot by the beach. Destinations are scenic or notable places, distances from 70 to 180-200 miles depending on the ride. Also includes a meal stop - these tend to be good food (better than on the boats but don't want to make it sound like the boat food is bad). My typical week was to ride up on Monday (from Ohio) and get to my hotel. Get up early and check in at registration to get all my Americade stuff on Tuesday morning. Go to the expo, do a poker run cause they can start almost any time up to about 11:00 AM or so. Depending on the time may go back and wander through expo (especially if in the mood for carnival type food), go and get a nice inner someplace. Wednesday is variable. If I want to get on demo rides I get up early, get to Roaring Brook Ranch or wherever the demo rides are going to be (some vendors at Roaring Brook, some in Lake George Village). Sign up for as many rides on as many different bikes as I can manage in a day. Usually can't schedule more than 5. Hang around Roaring Brook or whatever. I reserve Thursday for a "shorter" ride to make sure I can be back in time for a dinner boat ride (or can do on Wed). Friday I ALWAYS schedule a long ride (usually the longest they offer). Idea is to get outta town early (all rides leave early) as people really flood in for the weekend. A long ride will take all day and usually tired by end of day. Sometimes will go into the village (Lake George) in the evening. Place is packed with bikes and bikers and is quite a site to see. Oh, and usually buy a "preferred parking" sticker so can park in the village and not use meters. In all honesty there are so many bikes that it's not enforced but it's not expensive (10 bucks? 5 bucks? can't remember), goes to charity or the local civic group and feels like a nice thing since they put up with some degree of inconvenience. Friday night they do a fireworks and dessert at a local amumsement park (desserts included with full registratio). I only go if weather is decent. Saturday I head back to Ohio - but during the day they have a parade and a few other events. Whether it's worth it or not depends on what you want to spend, how planned or unplanned you want your time to be, whether you go up with a group or alone (I'm usually by myself but you meet people on the rides and everyone is pretty friendly), etc. Plan on heading up to Warrensburg at some point too if you have time. A lot on vendors set up shop there. Bolton Landing is where I stay and the last couple of years have been getting breakfast there early. Also a pretty good Italian place for dinner. Lots of parks in the area and you can wander around on your own, grab sandwiches or subs and picnic. Americade provides maps for "unguided" mini-tours that you can follow. I think they include lunch along the way.

Whew - didn't mean for this to be so long. Hope it helps.