So after reading what seems like HUNDREDS of reviews of both wired and wireless comm systems, and trying several out at dealers and bike shows, I have ordered a Starcom1 Advanced unit with two headset kits from ShangoRider.com. Supposed to be here later this week, so I will put it on the RTSD next week (and take some photos) and report back once I have it all hooked up.

This way, the wife and I can finally make fun of people in traffic without having to yell so loud that they might hear us. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So it came and we have been using it for a couple of days now...

The kit came nicely packaged with each set of parts separated with their own instructions, zip ties, etc.

I started with the helmet installation which seemed like the logical thing to do only to discover that I probably should have installed the unit first because one needs the unit installed to test the speaker location in the helmets. I had to install one full face kit with the bud microphone and a 3/4 helmet kit (my wife is claustrophobic) with the boom mic. Helmet installation time about 5 minutes, not too bad at all.

Installing the Advance unit under the seat was easy enough, found a place for it right behind the battery on the left side of the bike. It is about credit card size (long/ wide) and maybe as thick as a deck of cards. attached with 3 of the 4 supplied velcro circles, although I am not sure it even needed that. There is not a lot of exposed wiring down there to vampire tap, so I just crimped on some round connectors and attached straight to the battery terminals (the kit comes with an inline fuse); this works because the system is only "live" when the rider headset is plugged in. I ran the headset connection leads out from behind the frame, but in front of the plastic "bulkhead".

The controls and connections are all clearly marked and easy to operate. The mp3 plug-in works, but I have yet to try it out on the road to make sure the VOX (which mutes the music input when you speak).

So the operational review: It works... my wife and I are able to converse whilst riding which turns out to be very nice. The clarity is nothing short of amazing, I frequently am taken aback by the fact that we are on the intercom, I guess I was expecting more static / feedback or something... very, very, clear. BUT the volume is troubling me a bit I have the mic gain for both mics maxed out and the volume control too (although I am still tweaking the balance (which is really a front to back fader), the marketing literature claims that this system is designed to work for folks who wear earplugs. I have some of hearing loss in some ranges from my Air Force years and so to protect what I have left I where some serious earplugs when I ride. My wife wears them too and has no problem hearing me (it might be the deeper nature of my voice). I have found that with my "Ear Planes" that have a lower dB reduction rating I can carry on a conversation except for those first few seconds off the line when the mighty V4 roar overtakes it. I keep tweaking the balance to take some amplitude from her and give it to me and will continue to do so. I am also playing with the speaker position in my helmet to try and maximize the volume in my helmet.

The mics have to be VERY close to ones mouth, but that does not bother me at all.

So, initial conclusions is that it is better than I expected (clarity) but not as good as I had expected (volume). There are still some adjustments to be made and I think that I will be able to reach a happy medium between protecting my hearing and being able to hear that "pillion driver" remind me about the school zone.

More later once we have tweaked some more and tried it on a long trip.