IGNORED

Database Guru's - I need your input

SilvrT

So, I am experimenting with FileMaker Pro 11 and Filemaker Server 11 as I may be building a Web database app and FileMaker seems pretty slick in this department.

After only 2 days of experimenting tho, I am bumping into a few limitations.

Anyone out there have any experience with FileMaker and what's your take on this program?

Myself, I've been developing professionally for 20 years in a variety of environments with Visual Basic, VBA, MS Access, and MySQL being what I've been using for the past several years. Unfortunately, I have very little Web development experience and that is one of the reason's I'm looking at FileMaker.

Maybe someone has another suggestion?

I have not worked with it myself, but have worked with folks who have. Seems to be a FoxPro, or Access level kind of system. Of the 5 or 6 people I have worked with over the years that have worked with it only one of them was a big fan. Most of them use MySQL or another open source RDBMS for web development. I have used Oracle, SQLServer (including their free low capacity server MSDE and now SQLExpress) and a little MySQL but I work mainly in Healthcare / Public Health environments where the big names get a lot more play in the IT departments.

I have not worked with it myself, but have worked with folks who have. Seems to be a FoxPro, or Access level kind of system. Of the 5 or 6 people I have worked with over the years that have worked with it only one of them was a big fan. Most of them use MySQL or another open source RDBMS for web development. I have used Oracle, SQLServer (including their free low capacity server MSDE and now SQLExpress) and a little MySQL but I work mainly in Healthcare / Public Health environments where the big names get a lot more play in the IT departments.

It is not nothing like FoxPro or Access... Filemaker uses a spreadsheet-like format for storing data. I've done a lot of work with both FoxPro and Access... they have few limitations but neither are designed for creating web apps.

MySQL, SQLserver, MSDE, etc are only "back-end" systems ... I need a front-end that is easy to design in and easy to publish on a web server. Filemaker is very easy this way and it's "server" only requires that IIS be installed and running. Having said that, it's front-end is quite archaic to work with when you want to do some "fancy stuff" (so to speak)... it uses a scripting language that is almost like the old macro language in Lotus 123 or WordPerfect LOL

So, I'm just looking for options at this time.