IGNORED

Simoniz® Fix It?

GolfVenture

Was wondering if any one has tried the

http://www.harrietcarter.com/resources/harrietCarter/images/products/processed/3584.detail.a.jpg

Simoniz® Fix It!™ (C3584)

Fix it! pen removes car scratches like magic! Fast-action scratch repair filler and sealer pen from Simoniz gives professional results without the hefty cost. After washing, apply to scratch or scuff, gently buff, and then wipe away—no sanding tools or extra “elbow grease” needed! Contains UV hardeners that fill, level and cure on contact. No need for matching touch up paint - works on any vehicle, in any color; goes on clear and dries clear. Non-toxic, water-resistant.

Or is it one of those too good to be true.

All this stuff is, is overpriced clearcoat. It will cover the scratches as long as they are only on the clearcoat. If the scratch goes to the metal, it will just fill in the area and you will still see the scratch....So says Consumers Report....

All this stuff is, is overpriced clearcoat. It will cover the scratches as long as they are only on the clearcoat. If the scratch goes to the metal, it will just fill in the area and you will still see the scratch....So says Consumers Report....

This is pretty much accurate. Typically if you can 'feel' the scratch with your fingernail it is too deep for one of these pen/quick fix thingies to actually remove the mark completely.

If the scratch is all the way through the clear and into the color (or to the metal) they, as Dave said, all you are doing is 'filling' in without actually repairing anything but the missing clear.

A very fine rubbing compound would do the same thing as one of these fancy snake oil pens. If you can just barely feel the scratch, or it is quite small, you MAY be able to rub it out with some compound - at best you ought to be able to make it not quite as obvious.

The other way to tell if you can rub it out or if one of these 'fix it' pens will work is if the scratch looks 'white' in addition to not really being able to feel it. The 'white' that you see is actually the disturbed clear. Rubbing compound 'moves around' the existing clear to smooth out the surface. These pens just 'fill in' the missing clear - or at least a reasonable approximation to that.

Source: Running a body shop and painting cars for a few years. :happy34:

My finger nail can definately feel the scratch, however the scratch is white in color. So I'm not understanding if clearcoat will cover up the scratch or not?

It is really hard for me to say one way or the other without actually looking at it myself.

I suspect, that if you can feel it [rather easily] - which is my interpretation of your 'can definitely feel it' then using this 'clear coat' pen MAY improve the look but it will not remove the scratch completely.

Personally, I wouldn't waste the money on it (but again, I have the tools and experience to rub these things out on my own :confused24:) - If you want to spend money on something that will make sure to greatly improve the affected area, take your bike to a body shop with some CASH in hand - ask them to look at it and if possible for 'a best effort' rub and polish to try to remove the scratch. Provided the shop guy(s) know what they are doing it should take less than 10 minutes to at least IMPROVE the look of it, if not remove the signs of the scratch all together.

With that said, if you do try this little pen deal, you might get lucky and have the scratch go away enough for you to be content. I guess the worst case with this pen deal is that you try it and it doesn't improve anything at all - so you are just out whatever it cost to buy it.

If you want to post a picture of it or e-mail me a few high res photos of the affected area and I can try to make a better guess as to what it may take to get rid of the scratch.

I hope this has been helpful to you :confused24:

:080402gudl_prv: