IGNORED

15 Day Discount on Armored Air Jackets

Freebird

Just wanted to bring this to the top in case any of you are interested. There was a discussion about these in another thread and somebody asked if it would be possible to get a group discount. I contacted the manufacturer and here is what we have at this time.

We will offer your members a 15% discount to see if there is any interest. Their code is" Venture" and will be valid for 15 days.

This is for an armored air jacket and the reviews are really good. You can

read all about them at:

http://www.armoredairjackets.com/index.php

Thanks, Don. I might think those products are a great safety feature and idea, the only question I might have is what is someone forgets to unhook the safety device at the gas station to fill the tank? Whoops.:confused24::confused24:

According to the FAQ on their page, it takes about 35 lbs. to pull the tether and that is enough to prevent that from happening.

Thanks Freebird for the inquiry.:thumbsup2:

Is this discount only for their $595 jackets and not their $250 vests?

Also,

The video says they can be used repeatedly. I'm going to Assume that means inflated/deflated repeadly just by replacing the co2 cartriage?

The vests look promising, too bad they aren't mesh as that would make them just about perfect!

:cop:I'm very interested in this technology, but I'm not yet completely sold, and here's why. I emailed the company today and asked them what might seem like a trivial question, but please believe me, it is not. The question I had was whether the "airbags" (for lack of a better word) will deflate immediately after initial impact with the body/object struck, or do they remain fully inflated throughout the crash sequence? They emailed me back and advised me that they remain fully inflated until someone deflates them manually after the crash.

Here's why that's important: In every crash sequence, there are at least three impact categories. First, (obviously) is the Initial Impact, which occurs between the vehicle, and whatever it strikes. Next comes the Secondary Impact between the rider/driver, and whatever their body strikes. Finally, is the Tertiary Impact, which is often the most deadly. This is the impact between the internal organs/tissues of the body against the skeletal components (skull, ribs, etc.).

The last two categories are of most concern in this topic, particularly in blunt force impacts. It is not as much of a concern in deflective, or glancing type impacts, such as sliding on the asphalt. However, in head-on collisions, the key factor is called Delta V, or change of velocity. Think of the crash that killed race car driver Dale Earnhardt, Sr. He was so severely injured because of the extremely high change in energy that occurred when he hit the wall with a high angle of approach, at an extremely high velocity. Now, on these jackets, if the "Airbag" does not have any give, (either from a low psi, or automatic contact deflation), I'm concerned that the Delta V will still be too high, causing multiple traumatic internal injuries to the wearer.

The only difference would be that there would now be an additional impact (between the airbag and the object struck). While this added impact MIGHT result in an unknown (at least by me) amount of the impact energy being absorbed, I don't know if it would be enough to make an effective reduction in the amount of force sustained by the body's internal organs during that Tertiary Impact. Imagine if car/truck airbags did not immediately and rapidly deflate after contacting the vehicle's occupant(s). People would still be hitting an awfully hard object, head-on, potentially causing massive blunt force trauma to the brain, heart, lungs, liver, etc.

I'm hoping for more impartial studies from consumer groups and/or independent labs (NHTSA, are you listening?) before I shell out several hundred dollars for something that MIGHT work. Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. Don

I got my Armored Air Vest today. It is 100% Polyester Mesh Shell over the heavy Vinyl that inflates. The construction looks good with a heavy front zipper with a velcro flap. It weighs about 3lbs. There are two zippered pockets on the outside. I ordered the XL and it is snug over my leather jacket. I will sometimes wear it over a denim shirt. I am 215 lbs and could have ordered the XXL. My thinking is snug is probably better than loose fitting.

It's anyone's guess whether it will always deploy on every situation. There is information on the website about testing. My wife has offered to push me off of the house to see how it does. In any event, I plan to wear it because I don't bounce like I use to.

Edited by Formerfuzz