IGNORED

1996 Tour Classic Final drive

All final drives on the Royal Stars and RSVs from '96 to the present are the exact same thing.

If you're interested, you could get VMX final drive and machine the blank boss for the speedometer sensor. The point being a slightly lower gear ratio which these early Royal Star desperately need.

Good to know I had considered the VMX conversion since I had to change it out any ways. My local dealer spooked me with talk of different splines so I wanted to make sure it would work. Once I get back on the road I may look more into the conversion as a winter project.

PS any one with a "good deal" on a replacement rear end feel free to drop me line. Jim

VMX rear gears are a bolt on deal except for the speedometer sensor machining. None of these have different splines. Never heard anyone mention it or even ask before. It sounds like your dealer didn't know what he was talking about.

Did you lose the one you had a line on already?

FJR rear gears do not work. I found that out the hard way this summer. The inside is machined differently and when you tighten the axle nut, the wheel is bound. Not only that, but the four mounting studs at the front are too long. I know, they look like the same thing, but they aren't.

If you keep your eyeballs open, you should be able to find the proper rear gear for a lot less than a couple hundred.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who supplied information. I was able to get a good deal from Pinwall Cycle on a used unit from a 2006 and it fits likea charm. Man it's good to be mobile again, all I need now is some sunshine, Hope I don't have to wait till spring. :D

The input gear on my 1996 Tour classic has broken teeth. I have a line on a used unit from a 2003 but am unsure if it will work. Anyone with any advise? I need to commit to this one soon. Thanks for any thoughts. Jim
I have final drive off an 06 listed in the classified.It had 7500 miles when it was triked.I have it priced at $100 plus shipping.:farmer: