IGNORED

Leak after rear tire change

I have a 2007 Royal Star Tour Deluxe. I had a rear flat and had to have the tire replaced last week. Drove it twice and now have oil/grease leaking all over my garage. It seems to be coming out between the wheel and the shaft drive. Anybody have any idea what it might be..didn't have a single leak of any kind until this guy changed my tire. Is this something I can possibly fix..shop here wants $100 just to take a look at it and then will charge from there! Thanks

Guest tx2sturgis
I have a 2007 Royal Star Tour Deluxe. I had a rear flat and had to have the tire replaced last week. Drove it twice and now have oil/grease leaking all over my garage. It seems to be coming out between the wheel and the shaft drive. Anybody have any idea what it might be..didn't have a single leak of any kind until this guy changed my tire. Is this something I can possibly fix..shop here wants $100 just to take a look at it and then will charge from there! Thanks

Sounds like the tech got a bit messy with the grease, and all your seeing is the extra grease flying off the drive splines, past what Yamaha calls a 'cover', the soft rim around the hub on the left side.

Wipe off the grease and then keep an eye on it.

If its actually gear oil leaking out of the rear drive unit, ( sometimes called a 'diff' or 'pumpkin') thats probably the drain plug or crush-washer. Easily fixed.

Guest tx2sturgis

I should add that if the grease or oil is REALLY excessive and getting on your tire tread...well that needs to be solved. It could get you hurt.

Cleaned everything up last night..and now it is running again and have a puddle. Course being 100 degrees in the garage it feels more like oil then grease. Called Yamaha dealer they said something about an o-ring that might have gotten pinched when he was re-installing the tire???? Any info on that????

Guest tx2sturgis
Cleaned everything up last night..and now it is running again and have a puddle. Course being 100 degrees in the garage it feels more like oil then grease. Called Yamaha dealer they said something about an o-ring that might have gotten pinched when he was re-installing the tire???? Any info on that????

A puddle? Grease doesnt normally liquify at 100 degrees...so....

That sounds like the gear oil in the drive unit is leaking out. Not good. If you want to verify that, take the left saddlebag off,( not required but makes it easier) and then use a 17mm socket and ratchet and remove the upper fill bolt on the rear of the hub. Its facing to the rear, angled slightly, not the one on the bottom.

After you remove it, dip the drive oil with a clean popsickle stick, soda straw, whatever.

The level should be right at the bottom of the threads, or maybe a bit higher, with the bike on the sidestand. If you get nothing on the stick, your losing gear oil and the ring and pinion gears will end up starved for oil and fail.

Let us know what you find.

Or...take it in and it should be covered under warranty, assuming its not damaged somehow by the previous tech.

A puddle? Grease doesnt normally liquify at 100 degrees...so....

That sounds like the gear oil in the drive unit is leaking out. Not good. If you want to verify that, take the left saddlebag off,( not required but makes it easier) and then use a 17mm socket and ratchet and remove the upper fill bolt on the rear of the hub. Its facing to the rear, angled slightly, not the one on the bottom.

After you remove it, dip the drive oil with a clean popsickle stick, soda straw, whatever.

The level should be right at the bottom of the threads, or maybe a bit higher, with the bike on the sidestand. If you get nothing on the stick, your losing gear oil and the ring and pinion gears will end up starved for oil and fail.

Let us know what you find.

Or...take it in and it should be covered under warranty, assuming its not damaged somehow by the previous tech.

Checked the drive oil and it is full. Have cleaned it all up again annd will let it set tonight and see what we get. It was or is definately coming from the backside of the driveline..side against the wheel. There seems to be a "plastic" shield there and it is coming from around that. Also cleaned the oil of the tire..thanks for the tip and reminding me to do that.