When I got home yesterday I realized my left saddlebag lid had fallen off!

:starz:

I retraced my steps but so far it looks like it made a clean getaway.

Does anyone know where a used saddlebag lid could be found for my 1989 Venture Royale?

Can't help you with a replacement lid. But, can tell you how to keep from losing one in the future.

Go to your local heardware store/Home Depot and pick up some picture hanger wire. You can get it coated or uncoated. I preferred the coated wire.

Cut about a 14-16 inch length. attached a closed loop electrical terminal large enough to accomidate the bolt used to connect the trunk latch to the box.

Put a wire on each end of the box. This keeps the lid from blowing away of the latch fails. Also qllows the top to hang down when you are getting something out of the box without having to balance the lid on the seat or lay it on the ground.

BTW: Where are you located in MN?

Lost my left lid on a freeway last year. Fortunately, when I went back, it was in one piece on the shoulder of the road. I did the type of hanger mod described by BlackOwl and it worked great. However, I used standard coated electrical wire and three of the wires broke at the connector due to normal use, so I changed the wires to nylon cord. Have seen several lids on ebay recently, as well as a pair or lid hangers.

Somewhere along Hwy 280 - a little stretch about 5 miles long running the border between Minneapolis and St Paul, is my missing lid. I've driven the route a couple of times but haven't spotted it yet!

If you see a guy walking in the tall grass, that'll be me.

I'll definitely look into a way to keep this tethered in the future - now that the horse has left the barn. Thanks for the advice!