IGNORED

Differences between Dunlop Elite 3 front tires

What is the difference between the Dunlop Elite 3 front tires listed below. Since they are different prices and weights (by $16.00) there must be some significant difference. The only thing I see different is the Aspect Ratio. Which one is best for the RSV? Dennis Kirk lists both tires for RSV fitment. What I really want to know is which of these two tires do I want and why one over the other? Would I notice an Aspect ratio difference from 80 to 90? On Dennis Kirk site more people reviews the 90 Aspect Ratio tire. Is that because it is $16 cheaper or a better ride and life? :puzzled:

One other detail, I am considering the Dunlop E3 because I can not get the Michelin Commander which I already have on the rear. Michelin has no idea when the 150/80 16 may be available. My Dunlop 404 front will need changing before to very long so I thought the E3's would be a good alternative choice. But which one??? :think: What do you think????

$107.99 * Dunlop Front Elite 3 150/80H-16 Blackwall Tire

(1 Review) weight 17.70 pounds

Dennis Kirk Part #: 543447

Manufacturer Part #: 407989

Aspect Ratio: 80

Construction: Bias

Position: Front

Rim Size: 16

Sidewall: Blackwall

Speed Rating: H

Tire Classification: Touring

Tube Type: Tube or Tubeless

Units: Each

Width: 150

Compared to:

Dunlop Front Elite 3 MT90HB-16 Blackwall Tire $91.99 per tire

(14 Reviews) weight 16.06 pounds

Dennis Kirk Part #: 542887

Manufacturer Part #: 407990

Rim Size: 16

Width: MT

Aspect Ratio: 90

Construction: Bias

Position: Front

Sidewall: Blackwall

Speed Rating: H

Tire Classification: Touring

Tube Type: Tube or Tubeless

Units: Each

This post made me realize that while I meant to order the narrow front tire (MT90HB-16), I actually bought the stock size!

I've run the narrow size in Avons, and quite like it. The stock E3 is OK, noisy though.

Funny, I thought for sure I was getting the narrow....

Dave

Somewhere in there I saw you were looking for a Michelin Commander 150/80-16.

Yes they are out of stock nationally. But Friday I kept chasing and found a small Internet dealer in eastern KY that had 6 (now 5 maybe). He was not aware of the shortage, so he must be sitting on some inventory. (Someone here said Michelin is going to a Commander II, thus no old tires.)

Anyhow,,, try www.ridedirect.com or 866-574-1939.

Or the tire: http://www.ridedirect.com/index.php?

I'm getting it for $130.95 delivered. He will ship next day.

Looking at Google satelite, small shop so, probably gone for tonight.

He said he will price compare,,,, if the other guy has it in stock,,,, nope.

Mine is due Wednesday or Thursday.

Mike G in SC

Somewhere in there I saw you were looking for a Michelin Commander 150/80-16.

Yes they are out of stock nationally. But Friday I kept chasing and found a small Internet dealer in eastern KY that had 6 (now 5 maybe). He was not aware of the shortage, so he must be sitting on some inventory. (Someone here said Michelin is going to a Commander II, thus no old tires.)

Anyhow,,, try www.ridedirect.com or 866-574-1939.

Or the tire: http://www.ridedirect.com/index.php?

I'm getting it for $130.95 delivered. He will ship next day.

Looking at Google satelite, small shop so, probably gone for tonight.

He said he will price compare,,,, if the other guy has it in stock,,,, nope.

Mine is due Wednesday or Thursday.

Mike G in SC

Mike when you get your tire would you let us know what the date stamp marking is for the tire? I am concerned that it might be an old tire. When I talked with Michelin apparently this European made tire has been out of production for awhile. Thanks

Mike when you get your tire would you let us know what the date stamp marking is for the tire? I am concerned that it might be an old tire. When I talked with Michelin apparently this European made tire has been out of production for awhile. Thanks

Chinto,

Got the tire today. It looks fine. I figured it would not be too "new" as he was not aware of the outage. The date code is 0307, so that is third week of 2007.

That is 3.5 years old, but it appears to have been properly warehoused. It is still black and feels as good as the rear tire I got "fresh" last month that had a 3908 code.

I just handled it and can feel the soft tire "oil" on my hands.

Tire was made in Spain.

My local guy is mounting it now. He had no issue with the date. I will ride it tonight. I will let you know if there are any issues.

Mike G in SC

EDIT: PS: I work in the rubber business and my tech guy "knows".

He said the age issue would mainly be an issue on steel belted tires as the steel in Chinese tires will start to corrode in 4 years and in American in about 6-7. He said as these are Kevlar they are good for 10+ years.

Edited by Mike G in SC