IGNORED

New harbor freight trailer whats next?

hunthomer66

Ok I'll try not to get to long winded with this. Just bought a new HF trailer and have read several of the post on here about what you should do before using .

:thumbsup2:

1- repack bearings ( is that by hand or do you fill hub with grease through grease sert?).

2- use 4 3/8 washers on tounge coupler .

3- make sure tounge is straight so trailer pulls and tracks atraight.

:confused24:

Things not sure about ?

1 - what tire pressure is everyone running in tires.

2- did everyone leave both leaf springs in on both sides or did anyone just use 1 leaf spring.

3 - did anyone put a cooler rack on the front and if you did , did you make the tounge longer or use the 1 that came with it .

The reason I bought trailer was because someone hit me last year in Albeq New Mexico and the frame to my whiskey barrell trailer was totaled and didn't have time to fix before we leave for Tenn in 6 weeks . ( should have listened to better half and not waited untill last min to fix it ).

If I have forgot anything please someone remind me .:fingers-crossed-emo

I don't have the HF trailer, but from what I've read on here and to help answer your questions:

1. Most are running 25 lbs in their tires. This is enough air for the normal weight of trailer and luggage and helps eliminate the bounce of an over inflated tire.

2. Everyone reccomends removing one of the springs.

3. Not sure about this one.

Hope this helps a little and I'm sure others will join in and offer their opinion. My answers above are from my own research on this site for when I get my own trailer.

Ok I'll try not to get to long winded with this. Just bought a new HF trailer and have read several of the post on here about what you should do before using .

:thumbsup2:

1- repack bearings ( is that by hand or do you fill hub with grease through grease sert?).

2- use 4 3/8 washers on tounge coupler .

3- make sure tounge is straight so trailer pulls and tracks atraight.

:confused24:

Things not sure about ?

1 - what tire pressure is everyone running in tires.

2- did everyone leave both leaf springs in on both sides or did anyone just use 1 leaf spring.

3 - did anyone put a cooler rack on the front and if you did , did you make the tounge longer or use the 1 that came with it .

The reason I bought trailer was because someone hit me last year in Albeq New Mexico and the frame to my whiskey barrell trailer was totaled and didn't have time to fix before we leave for Tenn in 6 weeks . ( should have listened to better half and not waited untill last min to fix it ).

If I have forgot anything please someone remind me .:fingers-crossed-emo

repack bearings after you clean them good by hand is fine. filling hub is waste of time and grease

i didnt use 4 washers i used a 3/16's shim on one side and hammered it in

OH MY im tracking a a tad to the left SO what ill live with it and you will never see it with out mic's

eye ball the tounge it will be fine if your worryed about it put a square on it it will be ok

the air pressure i run is a lot less then every one else says you should so find what works for you

i still have both springs in mine but one or two one would be better for a lite load two is fine if you always have 50 + pounds in it

i will add a bit later to the tounge and add a cooler rack when i do ill use a 2x2 tounge not the size it came with then the coupler will fit right and it won't need the shim

1. I [will be] running 20# in it. I've been running 30-40 and it was too much.

2. I'm using both

3. I've got the stock tongue on it. I put on a grill grating for the rack (see below).

The other thing I did was switch to LED taillights.

Dave

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4627867565_1b2db32445.jpg

I have built 3 HF trailers for pulling behind my RSTD so I have a little

experience.

1. Run about 20-25 lbs of air in the tires depending on how much cargo

you are carrying.

2. Remove the short springs. You only need the one.

3. The length of the tongue as recommended by others should be 1.5 times

the width of the axle. I have adjusted the length of my 3 trailers by cheating

(sort of). I have always narrowed my trailers by 6 inches and depending on the

roof top cargo box I am using, shortened it by 6 to 8 inches. Most of the shortening

is taken off the rear of the trailer. When I do this I also move the center support bar

forward by several inches. The tongue then gets "pushed" forward by that many

inches. When I narrow the trailer I also cut the same amount from the center of the

axle. I then take the piece of the axle and invert it onto the 2 pieces of the axle. I

then drill and bolt the axle together. Since there is no stress on the center of the

axle, this works out fine. An easier way is to weld the axle back together after

cutting out the excess. Once again invert the piece and fit it into the 2 pieces of axle

and weld. The warning signs of a too short tongue or improperly loaded trailer is at

speed the trailer will swing back and forth. You should have a tongue weight of at

least 15 - 20 of the total weight of the trailer (including cargo). Should be at least 25

to 30 lbs of tongue weight. Use a spring loaded fish scale (under $10.00) to weigh

the tongue. If your trailer still swings at speed then the tongue needs to be longer.

When you install the coupler onto the tongue, be sure not to overtighten the bolts. You

will know they are too tight as the coupler will not fit over the ball.

Another important factor with trailers is for it to be level. You can move the axle above the springs to lower the trailer if needed. This will probably require you to move the fenders up to keep good clearance between fenders and tires.

You will find the HF trailers tend to "rattle" going down the road. This is caused by the rear perch on the leaf springs bouncing up and down between the frame and the bolts. Just take a 1" piece of heater hose and install it on the rear spring bolts. Makes a world of difference quieting down the trailers.

I know this is more info than you asked for and I am sorry I rambled on.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Always glad to help.

Bruce

05 RSTD

Minnesota