IGNORED

Only 6 volts at turn signals?

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be only 6 volts at the turn signals? I need 12 volts to power an LED light array. After installing them I found them to be too dim, so I put a volt meter on the signal lead and found 6 volts. Is this normal? If I jump to the battery I come up to full brightness. Any solutions? I thought about using relays but is that the best solution? If so what kind of relay should I use and how do I wire it?

Guest tx2sturgis

Those are 12 volt lamps...so if they look dim, something is wrong...OR...if they are normal brightness, then the way you are measuring is not correct.

The stock turn signals look normal brightness, but the LED's I hook up are half brightness. If I hook up the turn signal portion of of the LED array to the brake light wire (I measure 12 volts there), they light up to full brightness. I may not be measuring the voltage correctly, but the bottom line is there isn't enough voltage to bring the LED's up to normal brightness when connected to the turn signal wires.

Guest tx2sturgis
The stock turn signals look normal brightness, but the LED's I hook up are half brightness. If I hook up the turn signal portion of of the LED array to the brake light wire (I measure 12 volts there), they light up to full brightness. I may not be measuring the voltage correctly, but the bottom line is there isn't enough voltage to bring the LED's up to normal brightness when connected to the turn signal wires.

The 6 or 12 v reading is in reference to a ground...make SURE you have a good ground.

If your getting ground for the meter and the LEDs at the housing of the turn signals, try another spot. Those housings are NOT grounded. The socket base IS grounded...but I dont know where your getting ground, or exactly how familiar you are with electrical systems.

I admit I'm not that great with wiring systems, but I do understand needing a good ground. I have connected the new LED light array to the wires behind the licence plate on the RSV. I connected the signal wires and the brake light wire to the wires that are feeding the stock signals and brake light, and the ground to the ground wire the stock lights are connected to. The brake portion of the array is perfect, its the signals that are half brightness. As I said, if I connect the signal wire the to brake wire feed I get full brightness, so I know its not a grounding problem.

Guest tx2sturgis

I know the rear lamps are different in the base design, but I assume they are 12 volts...I could be wrong.....

I had the same problem when I was adding LED signals as well. I couldn't get them to full bright by wiring directly to the harness. I troubleshot that for hours. What I wound up doing was running a power wire from the battery and using relays to turn on the signals. Now I have full bright and works fine. Added bonus I guess is that is isolates the extra lights from the harness. I also did my trailer hookups this way.

This whole affair drove me nuts. I wound up chasing every plug I could find on the bike and cleaning the joints then plastering with dilectric grease. None of this solved the problem until I went direct to the battery.

Wayne

Edited by Wizard765

Relays are easy.. There are usually 5 spade connectors on a relay. One goes to power. One goes to ground. One goes to signal in (activates the relay) and 2 go to Power out to your light(s). I ran a (1)fused power wire to the back of the bike from the battery. Then I powered all my LEDs from that. I also ran a ground wire. Then I tapped into the existing harness for signals (I also did brakes and running lights) to activate the relays. You can purchase the relays at pretty much any auto supply stores. Here I got mine at Canadian Tire which would be much like your Auto Zone...

If you have any more questions PM me with your phone number and I'll call you (long distance for me is free)...

Wayne