When I use the CB (which is most of the time on group rides) I get interference/static on a regular basis. The radio will be silent and then a loud Static type noise. The talk indicator comes on as if someone is transmitting but no one in the group is. I have had the squelch all the way up and it still happens. It's very irritating. Any ideas what the cause is.

The funny thing is, mine does it around certain power lines, unless my squelch is set at about 18.

But........I work at a power plant, and we have LOTS of 500kv and 161kv power lines all over the place, and it never does it at all at work. I even parked it about 20 feet away from one of my generators the other day, and didn't hear it. (it was storming, so I pulled it inside the turbine room...shhh).

I've asked the people in the group that use the J&M radio if they have this problem and they say they don't. Oh well, I just wanted to find out if it was just my radio or if other factory Cb's had the same issue.

It would be hard for me to pinpoint your problem but it is sound like it can be from power-line's or sum types of alarm systems will also trigger the squelch.

You don't notice the problem at work do to the hi-voltage and GOOD insulators that aren't airking like you would find out in the urban areas. I don't think we have ben having any big sporadic-E "sun spot cycle" openings to enhance the 11-meter band.

It can also be from the BPL "broadband over powerline" http://www.arrl.org/identifying-bpl project's going on all over.

We have that problem hear and it's interfering with HF,VHF,UHF radios that emergency services are using.

If it's power line interference you can use your AM radio to narrow down the offending pole by listening for the peek static or find a ham-radio operator and thay can help track down the source.

You would be surprised how many bad connection's and insulators are out there.

After looking over the CB install guide found a reference to having a noise filter installed on the radiator fan which makes sense since if the fan kicks on at can make a lot of RF noise which the radio will pick up threw the electrical system. That can also be the problem you are having.