IGNORED

from 88 degrees to snow

Venturous Randy

Had a wonderful ride yesterday around the mountains of east Tennessee and western North Carolina. Got to ride a little on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but much of it in the area I was in was closed. I rode across the Lynn Cove Viaduct near Grandfather Mountain, took a detour south and then back on to Little Switzerland. It is amazing how much tree damage there is there. In some areas, almost all the top parts of the limbs are broken off of every tree. There have also been many trees down in the areas that are open. I bet the higher areas around Mt Mitchell or south of Asheville were really bad as they were 3,000 feet higher than where I was.

Most of the temp along the Parkway was around 80º and when I came down 226A to Marion, NC it was 88º. I went back over the mountain to highway 80, the Rooster tail, toward Burnsville and back across Roan Mountain. When going across Roan, which is a little over 5,500 feet at the gap at about 6pm, it was still about 65º. As I crossed over in to Tennessee, there was a lot of snow beside the road, most, much more than a foot deep. The road did not have any snow, but there was still more sand a stuff on the road than I wanted to ride on. But overall, it was a marvelous ride.

What was also great was when I filled up in Spruce Pine, I got 49mpg. I have gotten 48 several times after making the needle adjustment and replacing diaphragms, but this was the first time I got 49mpg.

RandyA

Me & a couple of friends rode up to the Parkway yesterday. Got on at Hwy 276 just below the Pisgah Inn. Went there for lunch (always good). Found out that there are 5 major closures in NC. We just happened on a 4 mile stretch that was open!.

I looked at the BR closures site and they don't say much but they do give a # to call for updates

(828) 298 0398. If you are going to ride the Parkway in NC,,,,, might call.

But up to about 20 miles south of Asheville and for 70 miles north you will hit a series of closures (rock slides, broken road and ICE in the tunnels). Mt Mitchell is open but only by limited access. Folk Art center above Ashville is open but you can't get to Mt.Mitchell without leaving the Parkway.

Approximate MM closures south to north: 422 to 414, 409 to 400, 375 to 352, 341 to 330 318 to 305. But they will be more exact, with highway #'s if you call.

YES, snow in pockets on the sides of the road, cool.

So, we still made a great ride by jumping back on 276 to Waynesville, west, to Maggie Valley and got back on the Parkway above Cherokee. From Cherokee, east, to Hwy 215 (Devils Courtyard) is open and fine. That is a 50+ mile section with the best vista views.

So we got a great 500 mile ride in yesterday.

Hey, but it did get us above the pollen level!!!

Randy, I will drag this over to a new post for BRP closures. You may want to post there about closures you found.

Mike G in SC

Had a wonderful ride yesterday around the mountains of east Tennessee and western North Carolina. Got to ride a little on the Blue Ridge Parkway, but much of it in the area I was in was closed. I rode across the Lynn Cove Viaduct near Grandfather Mountain, took a detour south and then back on to Little Switzerland. It is amazing how much tree damage there is there. In some areas, almost all the top parts of the limbs are broken off of every tree. There have also been many trees down in the areas that are open. I bet the higher areas around Mt Mitchell or south of Asheville were really bad as they were 3,000 feet higher than where I was.

Most of the temp along the Parkway was around 80º and when I came down 226A to Marion, NC it was 88º. I went back over the mountain to highway 80, the Rooster tail, toward Burnsville and back across Roan Mountain. When going across Roan, which is a little over 5,500 feet at the gap at about 6pm, it was still about 65º. As I crossed over in to Tennessee, there was a lot of snow beside the road, most, much more than a foot deep. The road did not have any snow, but there was still more sand a stuff on the road than I wanted to ride on. But overall, it was a marvelous ride.

What was also great was when I filled up in Spruce Pine, I got 49mpg. I have gotten 48 several times after making the needle adjustment and replacing diaphragms, but this was the first time I got 49mpg.

RandyA

And yet another member in my backyard and no calls.Could be one reason I ride alone most of the time.