IGNORED

Ugh! Electrical Gremlins!

Dave77459

Blowing off steam....

On my recent group ride to Arkansas, I started popping fuses on my passing lamps. I'd just rewired them recently to use a relay and direct connection to the battery, so I reckoned that's where the trouble lay. Then, on the last day, I lost my Gremlin Bell. Those suckers were determined to cause mischief!

Last weekend, I tore apart the headlamp housing and looked at the relay set up. I also took apart the left passing lamp housing to look at the switch--that had shorted out before. Nothing seemed wrong, and when I put it back together, the lamps worked. Maybe a crimp?

Today I looked and sure enough the passing lamps were off. The Gremlins were back.

I tore everything apart that I had touched during the install and looked for smoky residue. I put in fuse after fuse, letting it pop while I looked for sparks. Nothing!

Finally, I took apart the right passing lamp housing, and the wire was stuck to the back of the lamp bulb. Burned. That's where the short was, in something I'd never touched and had never been apart.

Ugh!

It was frusty, but still a nice way to spend an afternoon off.

Dave

Edited by Dave77459
typo