IGNORED

2006 midnight venture issues

Hi there our bike will not stay running. have replaced the battery and it only runs for the amount of the charge and then dies. I have taken it apart examined the connections and everything looks good. Has anyone had to replace a stator. Also has anyone been able to get their hands on a repair manual for a 2006. Thanks in advance

Mark:

Welcome to the site. If you have an 06 - you should still be under the 5 year warranty, contacting a trusted dealership may be in order.

To answer your questions; yes some have had to replace their stator. And somewhere on this site, there is a service manual available for download. If you poke around a little bit you should be able to find plenty of information on the stator (replacing, etc.) and the service manual.

You can verify the stator is the problem by checking the voltage at the battery while the bike is running, or by checking the stator resistance with the white, 3-plug wire harness that comes out of the stator. You can find that by taking off the two side panels and center panel as well as the coolant reservoir (it is almost dead center under the center panel below the battery box).

The resistance should be between .279 and .341 ohms.

The voltage measured should be between 13.5 and 14 volts.

I'm sure others will jump in with their advice as well.

Good luck!

I believe you can use the 'search' tool on the forum if you join.

- Rick M.

Hope that helps.

Rick

Thanks so much for the quick reponse. You confirmed what I thought. Only on a long amd for once nice weekend here in Michigan could our bike decide to die like this. I will call my dealer to see about the warrenty portion of this and I poked around a bit and did see how to replace it so depending on the dealers response I may do it myself. and Hey if others want to throw their ideas in the hat that would be great

Rick

Thanks so much for the quick reponse. You confirmed what I thought. Only on a long amd for once nice weekend here in Michigan could our bike decide to die like this. I will call my dealer to see about the warrenty portion of this and I poked around a bit and did see how to replace it so depending on the dealers response I may do it myself. and Hey if others want to throw their ideas in the hat that would be great

No problem. Where about are you in Michigan? We've got several members up there. (And I have a lot of family up there...)

There is absolutely NO reason your stator should not be covered under your 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. Good luck! It is probably unlikely that a dealer will have one in stock, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :fingers crossed: