IGNORED

Photos of passing lamp install?

If no relay came with the new lights. Be sure to buy a Bosh Relay, at most any auto parts dealer. Use a NEW Switch to control the relay, and Relay to supply voltage to the new lights. Be sure you can turn them OFF.

I also reccomend useing #16 wire for hook up. And install a seperate Fuse ( In line fuse OK ) to bring power from a Switched Power source to the new relay.

Do not hook to any OEM fused circuit. This would overload that circuit.

See this circuit:

http://www.accessconnect.com/fog_driving_lights_wiring.htm

Edited by GeorgeS

If no relay came with the new lights. Be sure to buy a Bosh Relay, at most any auto parts dealer. Use a NEW Switch to control the relay, and Relay to supply voltage to the new lights. Be sure you can turn them OFF.

I also reccomend useing #16 wire for hook up. And install a seperate Fuse ( In line fuse OK ) to bring power from a Switched Power source to the new relay.

Do not hook to any OEM fused circuit. This would overload that circuit.

See this circuit:

http://www.accessconnect.com/fog_driving_lights_wiring.htm

The dealer hooked my Yamaha OEM passing lamps to my headlight. Next time I get my tank off, I am running a fused circuit from the battery. They wired the bike to the low beams, so they turn off with the high beams. It may be illegal in some areas, but I don't want my passing lamps off if I turn the highbeams on.

My passing lamps have a toggle switch on them, satisfying that recommendation of yours.

I will use a relay powered by the front running lights so that my lights turn off when the bike does.

I have a 1996 Royal Star and I recently bought some passing lamps. But I don't know how to wire them. I have seen the diagrams and posts on this site but would love to have actual photos. Anyone have pics?

Thanks.

If you bought the Yamaha OEM passing lamps, the instructions that came with them should tell you where to connect the wires.

For my 06 RSTD the colour coding in the instructions was correct. If you want the passing lamps on at all times when the ignition key is on you splice the red power lead from the lamps to the "Blue" lead which emerges from the 12 pin harness connector in the headlight housing. For on with high beams only you splice the red lead to the "Yellow" lead in the headlight housing. For on with low beams only you splice the red lead to the "Green" lead in the headlight housing.

This is what is stated in the OEM passing lamp instructions for a newer RSTD. If your 96 has the same coloured leads available in the headlight housing and a 12 pin harness connector you should be able to connect you power wire for the lamps (regardless of who makes them) to one of the three wires mentioned above. If your colour codes are different you will need to use a volt meter and figure out which wire has power everytime the key is on, which one only has power with the intensity switch in the low beam position, and which one only has power when it is in the high beam position.

I didn't take any pictures but I am an electrician. Hope this helps!:puzzled::think::happy34: