IGNORED

Engine cuts out at WOT

This has been a good one boys and maybe this winter I will remove the carbs and go through them. Right now it is running fine I made a trip this summer to North Carolina and back and ran fine. I am not a speed demon anyway but am the type of person that if I know something is not right it bugs the hell out of me. I have since bought a K1200lt BMW and have been putting some miles on it so can now work on the Yamaha. I might bring it to the maintenance day at Free Bird's place in June.

You guys are great

Thanks,

Curtis

• 5 years later...

My '92 maybe has the same problem. If I twist the throttle past a certain point (80%?) it acts like it has dropped a cylinder! Otherwise it runs, starts and drives great. It will red line if I ease up to it. I have a fuel smell that I tracked to a leaky float bowl. PO changed the ignition box and I synch'd the carbs.

Did you solve your problem? Inquiring minds want to know . . .

Edit: 13 Jul 2015

I reconnected the original ignition box and sprayed carb cleaner everywhere while the air box was off.

Now the Blue Bomber runs like a raped ape! WOT in any gear and easily red lines in lower gears.

I'm thinking the carb cleaner knocked loose debris in one of the carb jets.

Lovin' my Gen I

GaryZ

Edited by GaryZ