IGNORED

Sunpro tacometer connection

I have the Baron's tach but the connections are probably the same. I connected it to the positive terminal on the primary side of the coil on the right front cylinder. Removing the gas tank makes it much easier to get to. I don't know how much you know about the electrical systems but the primary side is where you have two small wires connected to the coil with spade connectors. The secondary is the plug wire itself. You can pull off he positive wire and then the easiest way is to pick up a dual connector at parts house. It will have two male spades on it so you can plug the positive wire back into it and then the coil wire onto the other one. If you don't have nor wish to go get the dual connector, you will just have to splice into the positive wire.

I connected mine the same place as don I just slid the tach wire into the back of the harness plug and glued it in. If you are running a standard auto tach it will have to be capable of 2 cyl setting or it will read half speed on 4 cyl setting.

• 1 month later...
I have the Baron's tach but the connections are probably the same. I connected it to the positive terminal on the primary side of the coil on the right front cylinder. Removing the gas tank makes it much easier to get to. I don't know how much you know about the electrical systems but the primary side is where you have two small wires connected to the coil with spade connectors. The secondary is the plug wire itself. You can pull off he positive wire and then the easiest way is to pick up a dual connector at parts house. It will have two male spades on it so you can plug the positive wire back into it and then the coil wire onto the other one. If you don't have nor wish to go get the dual connector, you will just have to splice into the positive wire.

I installed a Baron 3" handlebar tach on my RSTD last evening. I also wired it to the coil for the front right cylinder (looking forward while seated on the bike). One suggestion I would make is that the spade connection terminals that protrude from the epoxy potted coil assembly are different widths. The negative terminal (white wire with a dotted grey stripe on my 06 RSTD) is narrower than the positive terminal (red wire with a dotted grey stripe). The tach comes with the dual spade lug connectors as suggested in the quote above. However, these lugs do not fit firmly on the narrower negative terminal. I had visions of loosing my front right cylinder one day and having to pull the gas tank at the side of the road to reconnect this lead. I chose to cut the end off the original negative lead, connect the green wire from the tack and the negative lead coming from the bike wiring harness to an in line butt splice coupling, then connect the original ninety degree lug to the other side of the butt splice coupling. The original ninety degree lug is narrower than the one on the positive terminal, so it fits the narrow terminal on the coil much better.

Doesn't matter who's tach you install, this connection issue would apply no matter what, unless you can find a narrower push on dual spade lug to match the width of the negative terminal on the coil.

Edited by ManWithAVision