IGNORED

RSV coolant temperature observations

After installing my temperature gauge this weekend I was able to ride to work today and it was my first opportunity to observe the water temperature. I thought I would share my observations here in case anyone wondered about the operating temps. On the way to work this morning the air temp was in the low 40's. During the 12 miles to work riding mainly on freeways at 45 to 60 mph the temperature held steady at 185 degrees. At lunch with the air temp in the mid 50's I rode through town in moderate traffic going stop and go through many lights and the temp would vary from 185 to 195. While at a stop light it would climb to 195 and then once I started moving it would cool back down to 185 until I reached the next light. At one particularly long light I had to wait through 3 light cycles and the temp rose to about 210. Once I started moving it slowly cooled back to 190. Had I ridden longer I'm sure it would have made it back to 185. At no time did I notice the fans kick on. On the way home on the freeway in the low 60's it held steady at 185. It will be interesting to see how the temps hold in mid summer at 90+ degrees.

DT

Edited by Midrsv

Guest tx2sturgis
On the way home on the freeway in the low 60's it held steady at 285. It will be interesting to see how the temps hold in mid summer at 90+ degrees.

DT

285? I hope thats a mistype!

Guest tx2sturgis
it's fnny you should say somthing about a fan kicking on I do not think i have ever herd the fan kick on on my bike? and it has never over heated:think:

It's pretty hard to 'hear' the fan kick on...its pretty quiet with the normal noises the bike makes. But you can sure feel the heated air it blows out when it runs on a hot day!

it's fnny you should say somthing about a fan kicking on I do not think i have ever herd the fan kick on on my bike? and it has never over heated:think:

While waiting at the one light where the fans had the potential to come on I had leaned over to try to hear or feel the fans come on. Once I began moving and the temp began to come down I made the assumption they never came on. If I'm sitting still I know when the fan come on due to the rush of heat around my feet.

DT