IGNORED

Oil Leak

douglaskinney_phd

Rode my bike and noticed a pretty good oil leak on the left side. Appears to be coming from up around top on the motor, under gas tank, right around or above the rubber housing by the carbs. I haven't pulled the tank to see if I can see anything else. Has anyone had this problem that could give me some clues on what and how to look for this leak? Thanks in advance.

Update: Finally had a chance to run the leak down. It appears to be gasoline rather than oil. Right under the air filter box there appears to be a rubber joint with a clamp on it that connects from the bottom of the air box to the top of the carb. ( I think) The clamp is set at the top of the boot, right below the air box, and will not tighten up. If I move it to the bottom of the boot, at what appears to be the top of the carb, I can tighten it up better but there is still a leak at the very bottom of the air box. The bike runs o.k. at 70 MPH. If I push it up to 85 MPH it will blow blue smoke until I take it back to 70 MPH.

Edited by douglaskinney_phd
Additional Information on where/what leak is.

Is the oil soaking the foam gasket around the air box under the tank and seeping out around the airbox? If so, you may be blowing oil into the airbox because you overfilled your oil level. Double check your oil level. I had overfilled mine last year and had all of the above. Be sure the bike is level (I place a bullet level on the gas cap to be sure I have it level) when you check the sight glass and the oil level is slightly below the top mark. :080402gudl_prv:

Is the oil soaking the foam gasket around the air box under the tank and seeping out around the airbox? If so, you may be blowing oil into the airbox because you overfilled your oil level. Double check your oil level. I had overfilled mine last year and had all of the above. Be sure the bike is level (I place a bullet level on the gas cap to be sure I have it level) when you check the sight glass and the oil level is slightly below the top mark. :080402gudl_prv:

I would go with slightly below the middle with it on the center stand.

RandyA