IGNORED

First real ride

kenno

Best way to see what the new bike is all about? Go for a ride.

Saturday we went to Bangor, Me for a drive, there and back amounts to 556kms or just about 350 miles. At least the way I do it -- takes about 6 1/2 hours of in-the-seat time and is a great mix of roads. We cross the international border in the sleepy Maine town of Orient. On the way there I ride at a casual pace, following the speed limits closely some at 25mph,some at 55mph, and on the way back, via I-95, less casual at 75mph, and then another hour thereabouts on NB-95 and the TransCanada Highway at 110km/h to a town just 20 minutes from home, then 80 km/h following a secondary highway along the Saint John river home. We have done this jaunt countless times dating back to the summer of 2007.

It was hot out by our standards, 86 degrees F, the bike while not yet technically broken in with about 500kms on it performed swimmingly, I realized 52 miles per imperial gallon (not those tiny US gallons) which would translate to about 42 mpg using the smaller US gallon, so not too bad for a mix of driving, two up, hot out, and using over half a tank of fuel for the calculation. I guess it is the US quart that is smaller, gallon still equals 4 quarts, in Canada a quart is 40 ounces not 32.

We had lunch at our favourite restaurant in Bangor and enjoyed a pair of official coffee breaks, one on the way there in Lincoln, Me, and one on the way back in Houlton, Me. No waiting at the border, Orient Me sees on average 3 vehicles per hour. The biggest issue for us is explaining why we are crossing here, but when I explain it is more about the ride getting there, it all makes perfect sense: choose 100 minutes at 75mph covering 186kms or 129 minutes at 55mph covering 169kms, the extra half hour wins every time.

My bottom was a bit sore from damp jeans, it was 86 degrees out, perspiration abounds. The best testimonial from my passenger came at the mid-point of our interstate ride home, where I asked if we needed to stop for a break and stretch our legs – she said no, keep going. I get more out of that that any online video test ride or numbers off the brochure, comfort is a fickle entity, and it can be a bit tough to get it just right.

Now with just over 1000kms on the SVTC, less than 600kms to go until fully broken in. Call me crazy, but I follow the guidelines in the manual. I have kept it in T mode and I try to remember to shift at the points mentioned in the manual, at least until break-in is complete.

Kenno