IGNORED

Need some insight on a 1998 Royal Star Tour Deluxe (under seat wiring/electrical)

Bump. Priced the Starter relay?, Battery and picked up the new battery cables/terminals today. Could use some help figuring out the solenoid (if it's right, or a relay is supposed to be there). Any feedback appreciated.

Zero,

The guy you got the bike from was a true "Backyard Mechanic". Looks to me like the starter relay is from a car or another bike. It doesn't belong there. The other wiring under the seat would take some time to figure out. I have no idea why that relay is mounted under the seat. If it's not some sort of add on, it should be under the side cover near the fuse box. I have a 97 RSTD I'll take some pictures and post them. Just remember,

"There's smoke in them wires, and the idea is to keep it there!"

Ha! I figured as much. That solenoid looks straight off a truck lol, and most of the Yamaha's I've dealt with had the 30amp starter relay instead. I really appreciate the reply. I'm guessing on the relay box, it may be for the towing/trailer kit that they added to the bike (best guess), and glad you commented on it. If able, I'll just pull it/wires completely (I'll look this afternoon and see if I can follow the leads all the way back to where the hitch was.

Thanks for the reply, truly. I priced/ordered the starter relay (guessed at it, before your reply) for 8.87 off amazon, and battery for 60$. Hopefully this weekend I can get in there and replace all those suspect battery cables/terminals and the solenoid/starter relay.

Here are some pictures of my 97. The extra wires under the seat are for the LED lights and my fairing. The start relay is on the left side behind the passenger foot peg.

left cover (Small).jpg

The arrow is trying to point out the fuel pump

Right cover (Small).jpg

The arrow is trying to point out the turn relay

Under seat (Small).jpg

The arrows are trying to point out the my LED/Fairing wiring

Start Relay (Small).jpg

The arrow is trying to point out the starter relay

I hope these pictures help. If you join the site, you'll get access to the Tech Library that has the complete manual for the bike including wiring diagrams. It would be the best $12 you ever spend.