IGNORED

Thanks for the tip!

Guest johnnyf.hero

Guest johnnyf.hero

I was changing my oil last night, getting ready for the fair weather rider's riding season. Since this was the first time I had done this myself (on my bike) I thought I might find a few quirks to sort out, but I have a big fat manual for the bike so I wasn't worried about it. But then when I went to reinstall the oil filter cover, the new O-ring, which had been stuffed into the box like a wadded up kleenex, wouldn't stay put long enough for me to tighten the bolt. Four or five tries at that and I was really frustrated. So I logged into the VR chat room and asked for suggestions. Someone jokingly suggested peanut butter. Then another suggested wheel bearing grease. There it is, I thought. A much better idea than the form-a-gasket goop I was considering, which might have resulted in an oil leak anyway. But at 11:30 at night when you are tired and have already spent 35 minutes on a 10 minute job and are frustrated an can't think straight, sometimes those brilliant ideas just won't come to you on their own. I forgot the names of the guys in the chat room, but if you happen to read this, thanks again.

P.S. I also tried the idea of bearing grease on bread with grape jelly, but I now think that peanut butter is the better choice for that particular application.